• In total there are 44 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Young Earth Creation theory put to rest!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Young Earth Theory put to rest!

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:The chronology proposed by Ussher, Lightfoot, Newton (I believe he is a famous scientist and mathematician), etc. primarily used the geneaologies in the Bible. In some instances, ages at death are provided, in others they are not so assumptions have to be made. I have seen estimates up to 6,500 years, but again, with the uncertainty of the estimates 8,000 years seems a comfortable estimate as the oldest possible.
Stahrwe, the premises for "8,000 years as the oldest possible" are false. If Isaac Newton was a young earth creationist he was very wrong about the age of the earth. Science has proved that the earth is more than four billion years old. Your error is comparable in magnitude to saying the USA is about five yards across.

I've been thinking about creationism against the cosmology of fall and redemption. If we assume that there was some sort of fall from grace in about 4000 BC, then it makes sense to look at the dominant thought form which arose at that time and ask how it is corrupt, how it fails to engage with the truth. Immediately, we see that the false Judaeo-Christian monotheist doctrine, whereby divinity is separated from nature, has been the dominant error over the last six thousand years. The redemption of the earth requires that this fallen doctrine be left in the past, and that a new rational scientific method investigate how humanity can move away from what Augustine called a state of corruption towards what he called a state of grace. Examining the mythological basis of the Bible, how gospel myth reworked the ideas of ancient human traditions to rebind them in a new believable narrative of faith, is a starting point for understanding Christianity.

A scientific approach to religion can use texts like Sigmund Freud's 'Future of an Illusion' - (wiki, text) to show that Young Earth Creationism is a psychological illusion, and adherence to false creationist ideas can be analysed as a psychological pathology.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

James Ussher (4 January 1581 – 21 March 1656)
John Lightfoot (March 29, 1602 – December 6, 1675)
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

In the 1600s they didn't have a clue as to how old the earth was. People thought dinosaur bones belonged to dragons or giants. Bloodletting was a common practice in medicine. And people were executed for being witches.
-Geo
Question everything
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:James Ussher (4 January 1581 – 21 March 1656)
John Lightfoot (March 29, 1602 – December 6, 1675)
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

In the 1600s they didn't have a clue as to how old the earth was. People thought dinosaur bones belonged to dragons or giants. Bloodletting was a common practice in medicine. And people were executed for being witches.
We certainly have come a long way since then haven't we. Do you know who the last person conviceted of witchcraft was and the year?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

A scientific approach to religion can use texts like Sigmund Freud's 'Future of an Illusion' - (wiki, text) to show that Young Earth Creationism is a psychological illusion, and adherence to false creationist ideas can be analysed as a psychological pathology.
Spaghetti brained nutjobs. I've vowed long ago to scout whatever school my son goes to and make sure there aren't any lurking in the shadows. My greatest failing as a parent would be to let my child be swept up in some fundamentalist islamic or christian belief. It makes me sad to think there are actually people amongst us who prey on the minds of children and want to indoctrinate them. Well, it makes me sick to my stomach is more like it. The only difference between a fundie nutjob and a child molester is the fundie preys on the mind, while the molester preys on the body.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:The only difference between a fundie nutjob and a child molester is the fundie preys on the mind, while the molester preys on the body.
Which is worse?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Interbane wrote:The only difference between a fundie nutjob and a child molester is the fundie preys on the mind, while the molester preys on the body.
Which is worse?
This is an unfair question. To subject a child to either physical or mental molestation or abuse is equally intolerable. It's only those who are of the mind that indoctrinating young children into a religion they cannot possibly understand as being good parenting who believe there is a difference. They both take advantage of the child's innocence and reliance on adults to achieve their goals, which makes them both disgusting.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Yeah, it's comparing apples to oranges. Both are disgusting.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
Which is worse?
This is an unfair question. To subject a child to either physical or mental molestation or abuse is equally intolerable. It's only those who are of the mind that indoctrinating young children into a religion they cannot possibly understand as being good parenting who believe there is a difference. They both take advantage of the child's innocence and reliance on adults to achieve their goals, which makes them both disgusting.
I was not the one who equated the two. I think that given Interbane's statement I asked a completely fair question. And I will adamently dispute that the two are the same, even if Creationism is wrong, a child can grow up to lead a perfectly normal life in a loving family situation being taught that. On the other hand a child growing up in a family where they are taught evolution but moletsted physically will not grow up to have a normal life.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Yeah, it's comparing apples to oranges. Both are disgusting.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Yeah, it's comparing apples to oranges. Both are disgusting.
Are you really going to stand by your statement?

Reject Creationism & physically molest child

is not different than

Teach Creationism but don't physically molest child.

I think you should get a Mulligan on this one and be allowed to retract your original statement-no harm/no foul.
Last edited by stahrwe on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”