• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Shakespeare's Sonnets

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Shakespeare's Sonnets

Unread post

I'm finally reading all the sonnets in sequence. I think the sum is more than the parts, by that I mean, IMHO many of the sonnets are mediocre and not easy to read. (Shakespeare often writes in riddles, probably to hide his and his "beloved" identities. Also, I found much of the poetry's syntax awkward.) Taken together, however, the sonnets tell a powerful story about the emotions and thoughts of Shakespeare. I don't see how anyone can say that we shouldn't read them autobiographically. To me they are a window to Shakepeare's tortured soul. (Yes, he was in pain and not in peace with the world; and from that pain, I believe, came his great plays.)

Now that I've read the sonnets, I feel as if I know Shakespeare, or at least a good part of him.

I'll also recommend Clinton Heylin's book about the untold story of the sonnets: As Long As Men Can Breathe.
missyannlala
Book Nut

Re: Shakespeare's Sonnets

Unread post

Recently, my step-sister gave me a complete collection of Shakespeares work. You're sonnet reading has really inspired me to open it up and dig deeper.
give me the rainbow!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I own two copies of Shakespeare's "Comedies" published by Easton Press. What gorgeous books they are. Leather binding and gold gilded pages. I think I'll run a contest soon to give away one of them to a BookTalk.org member.

So you're saying to really appreciate Shakespeare we should read the whole shebang. Maybe we should have a discussion of Shakespeare here on the BookTalk.org forums. I just don't know where such a discussion would fit.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Maybe we should have a discussion of Shakespeare here on the BookTalk.org forums. I just don't know where such a discussion would fit.
I would absolutely LOVE to have a Shakespeare discussion. This notion makes me a happy former English major. Please take it into serious consideration. I can wait. But I will be there every day if we have Shakespeare discussions. Every day.

(I realize I'm here everyday already, but this is different. This is Shakespeare!) :love:
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Shakespeare is a huge theme which could be broken down into sonnets, historical plays, comedies, etc, Shakespeare through the eyes of contempories, the age-old "who really wrote Shakespeare's play's" debate, biographies, Shakespeare's contributions to the English language, reception of plays, historical plays seen in the light of contemporary politics, influence on modern authors, etc, etc, etc.
I really do think we could do a lot with it, Chris.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I agree, there seem to be a bunch of Shakespeare lovers here, and I'd really like the 411 on Shakespeare. It'd be an asset to this site, that's for sure.
give me the rainbow!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Randy, whenever you see this, I've started a thread for the sharing of favorite Shakespeare pieces, be they sonnets, songs from plays, soliloquies or what have you. I'd love to see what you would have to contribute, if you have some extra time. The thread is called Shakespeare Fever! So far I've shared two sonnets, the Queen Mab speech from Romeo and Juliet, DWill shared the "O that this too too solid flesh would melt" speech from Hamlet, and I've just posted the opening speech from Richard III. I'd love to see what your favorite Shakespeare is and what your thoughts on them are, as well. Stop on by if you have a chance! :)

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”