• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Don Quixote - The New Translation

#82: April - May 2010 (Fiction)
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Don Quixote - The New Translation

Unread post

I am wondering if there are enough of us to set up a regulation threat with chapters and all. Anyone out there? I will ask Chris to set us up if enough people respond that they are reading.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Well gee darn, folks. I had never intended on attempting reading Don Quixote ever again and now....! Sigh. Will have to get the book. How horrible. This means another trip to the English language bookstore in Munich. But, we all have to make sacrifices.....!
As to the Tale of Genji, I have actually read and enjoyed it (2009 was an anniversary, btw, and Japan brought out some gorgeous stamps for the occasion). But I would suggest The Pillow Book as well. Actually, women authors in early Japan is a fascinating topic. (On the other hand, what isn't?). Sorry I'm rambling on--it's the shaky withdrawal symptoms I have since I still can't get into the Poetry forum yet. :(
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Just got my copy of Don Quixote. Hope it can be put up as fiction selection.
tomwhite56
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I've been doing some reading about the book, and I have a suggestion, which may make the reading and discussion less daunting for those who were previously daunted :lol: .

The book is actually composed of two books, which were published 10 years apart. The first is what most people would probably identify as the story of Don Quixote, that is, his chivalric adventures. The second, published by Cervantes when another writer attempted to capitalize on the original work by writing his own sequel, has an interesting premise: everyone who is in the first book has read the first, and many if not all have a role in the second book and actually discuss the first book.

I would suggest, then, that we read the first part this year, and then take a 10-month break (to signify the 10-year interval between the two published parts) before tackling the second. What do you all think?
A likely story.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I will ask Chris to set us up a thread for the first book. Will anyone volunteer to be discussion leader?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm creating this forum right now! It is always helpful if you give me a direct link to the correct book on Amazon.com. I believe I have the right book, but let me know once you see the book image. Give me 30 minutes and you'll have your forum. :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

We now have a forum for discussing Don Quixote. This thread will be locked because we all have a tendency just to keep chatting in existing threads no matter which way the discussion flows. It is far better to create new threads with meaningful titles so that new people can easily identify what a thread is about and instantly know whether they wish to join the discussion.

I'd appreciate if some of you created some discussion threads right away. Come up with some sort of threads to get the discussion rolling. They could be based on chapters or whatever you like. But it is important for visitors to see those discussion threads so they have some motivation to buy the book and join the discussion. :)
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks!

Return to “Don Quixote - Translated by Edith Grossman”