• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

How Ivan Ivanovich Quarrelled with Ivan Nikiforovitch

#80: Mar. - April 2010 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Diary of a Madman and Other Stories - by Nikolai Gogol

President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: How Ivan Ivanovich Quarrelled with Ivan Nikiforovitch

Unread post

I have the penguin version and I guess this is the story which follows the Shponka story. I'm a ways through it and I can't be happier. After the last novel I read, Toilers of the Sea, this is a welcome change!!!

The writing style is very light and humorous. It's candid and has a lot of slap stick style, low brow funniness and shenanigans.

To trade a pig for a rifle. hehe. To offer two sacks - full of oats that is, not empty..lol.

Gogol has a way of describing people too that other authors can't compete with. He can describe someone to a tee but in the funniest ways. Giving you an accurate description and making you smile - it's a ripping at the expense of the character he's describing. I remember this from Dead Souls. I can't remember which character he described in that book - it was a female and it was hilarious. He ripped on her but by doing so gave a more accurate description than a picture.

If you saw her you'd probably remark she wasn't very attractive but by reading his lines you would laugh and say, "That's true! Haha!" Mean, yes, but funny like when a comedian picks a person to rip on while you laugh at a safe distance having no chance of being the next victim.

Return to “Diary of a Madman and Other Stories - by Nikolai Gogol”