• In total there are 31 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Tim Burton fan, anyone?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
missyannlala
Book Nut

Re: Tim Burton fan, anyone?

Unread post

I'm a huge fan!! I love how I never feel as though I'm watching something dark during his movies, just something very creative. Always have to have an open mind when it comes to him. but to me, that's what makes life an adventure.
give me the rainbow!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

So who's camping out at the movie theaters this weekend when Alice in Wonderland comes out? :mrgreen:

Certainly not I. It's freaking cold here! :lol:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I plan to see Alice in Wonderland too. The trailer looks awesome.
tomwhite56
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

PrincessCricket wrote:He was actually a really nice person. I gave him a copy of Is Lydia Strange?, shook my hand, and signed my copy of The Art of Tim Burton (best $60 I've ever spent).
You had to pay him 60 bucks to sign your book?
A likely story.
ruthiekb72
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Just got home from seeing Alice in 3D....Awesome! Packed theatre!
jackoftirades
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I was eight when I saw "Nightmare Before Christmas" in theaters, and I have been a Burton fan ever since. His creativity knows no bounds.
~Elyse~
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it."
-Oscar Wilde
hmrush
Gaining experience

Unread post

I think I was like, three when The Nightmare before christmas came out, haha but nevertheless I saw it in theatres 7 or so times (to my fathers dismay!) and have loved the movie to this day ( I can still be caught singing the songs in the shower )

As for the newer stuff, The Corpse Bride really disappointed me as did Planet of the Apes and the new Charlie and the Cholcolate Factory.

I did love Sweeny Todd though, and I am a huge Helena Bonham Carter fan.

Saw Alice in Wonderland on opening night ( my boyfriend had to work some magic to get those tickets, it definitely wasn't an easy feat!) and I must say I was a little disappointed. The 3D was cool, and Johnny did an awesome job as the Mad Hatter but I thought it would be a little darker and the Jaberwocki scene was a little anti-climactic. I thought the actors did well, but I think the hype surrounding the film was a little too much and perhaps made my expectations a little too high.
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
cakeheart222
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree about the Corpse bride and Charlie and the chocolate factory. I did like the visuals in the Corpse bride, but the story, not so much. The nightmare before christmas and sleepy hollow will always hold a special place in my heart. :love:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I watched Beetlejuice for the first time in a while tonight. It's interesting to see Tim Burton's style grow from the late '80s-early '90s to the films we know him best for today. One of the changes I can see is that his work has gotten much darker and less whimsical. Beetlejuice is mostly just funny with a few wacky effects, whereas everything he does now is very, very dark and the humor is mostly in the hands of the actors who portray the roles, not in the writing. I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing, just an interesting thing to notice in any artist's style over time.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”