• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Poem of the moment

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Poem of the moment

Unread post

Very beautiful, very melancholic, very haunting. Thanks, Saffron!
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Very beautiful, very melancholic, very haunting. Thanks, Saffron!
You are welcome. Lucille Clifton's poem gives me goosebumps when I read it. I miss my own father in a similar way. When it was time for us, my siblings & me, to come home he would whistle for us. He was a sax player, so it was just any whistle, it could be heard all over the neighborhood. I love to whistle, just because it reminds me of the nicest things about my dad.

A few hours after I posted the poem I found out my ex-father-in-law passed away. He was a complicated man to love or even like, but I know that he will be missed by his family.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: Near

Talking along in this not quite prose way
we all know it is not quite prose we speak,
and it is time to notice this intolerable snow
immumerably touching, before we sink.
Loved the William Stafford poems, especially the first. Is there a typo in the second poem? I bolded the word that is giving me trouble. William Stafford is not a poet I am familiar with, but now I think I should be. I like the opening lines of Near. I'm glad you posted the pair.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Hey, I just found something that could be a gem of a find. While investigating more about William Stafford I came across the following:

A brand-new documentary film by Haydn Reiss, Every War Has Two Losers, is available now also. Above is the trailer. Based on the book of that name by William Stafford that was edited by Kim Stafford, Linda Hunt narrates and Peter Coyote provides the voice of William Stafford. To order and to learn more: http://www.everywar.com Graywolf Press recently published Another World Instead: The Early Poems of William Stafford, 1937-1947, edited by Fred Marchant.

http://www.everywar.com/about.html
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
DWill wrote: Near

Talking along in this not quite prose way
we all know it is not quite prose we speak,
and it is time to notice this intolerable snow
immumerably touching, before we sink.
Loved the William Stafford poems, especially the first. Is there a typo in the second poem? I bolded the word that is giving me trouble. William Stafford is not a poet I am familiar with, but now I think I should be. I like the opening lines of Near. I'm glad you posted the pair.
Typo? Why you must be mistaken. Go back and read it. No, seriously, thanks for your sharp eyes. I don't have a moment just now to look into this link you posted above, but leave it to you to find that!
Last edited by DWill on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

I stumbled across this poem and a comment by Robert Pinsky about its writer, Robert Hayden. Of course Pinsky knows what he is talking about but this time he is not obscure—Hayden did just what Pinsky said he did in this touching poem of only 95 words.

Here is “Sundays” and Pinsky's comment:

Certain poems were written about by many different people who wrote to the Favorite Poem Project. Perhaps the most striking instance was the large number of various, intense letters about this poem by Robert Hayden, the first African-American to hold the post that came to be called Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry. The poem does pack remarkable power into its 14 lines. The cogency of phrases like "the chronic angers of that house" seems related to the wide appeal that brought letters from people of so many different ages, professions, regions, ethnicities. Maybe the partial rhyme with "dress" adds to the phrase's power: Certainly the poem demonstrates how like vowel and consonant sounds in an "unrhymed" poem can have tremendous effect. And the cold, ordinary word "offices" at the very end of the poem is like an icicle that touches the heart.—Robert Pinsky

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.
I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,
speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love's austere and lonely offices?
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

We did a lot of work in the yard and garden yesterday, including cutting the grass, which (surprise, surprise) reminded me of this poem by Philip Larkin:

Cut Grass

Cut grass lies frail:
Brief is the breath
Mown stalks exhale.
Long, long the death

It dies in the white hours
Of young-leafed June
With chestnut flowers,
With hedges snowlike strewn,

White lilac bowed,
Lost lanes of Queen Anne's lace,
And that high-builded cloud
Moving at summer's pace.

I like the way Larkin uses rhyme and meter to take the edge off of the seriousness of the poem. The civilized, man-made destruction and the sterility of the world thus do not seem so horrific. But if you look closely, Larkin uses classical "death" images such as lilacs and clouds (and the first stanza is obvious).
The poem is permeated with white! And with death! But he distinguishes between sterile, man-made "white" and natural "white". I am fascinated by the way he writes a poem of death using such beautiful, such vibrant imagery.
Last edited by oblivion on Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Hey, you're a very good selector. I'd like to see your Top 50. It's always good to see poems that we won't see in our Top 500 but are certainly good enough to be there. You're right, this is one of the whitest poems around. I have a quirky reaction of seeing the grass as defintiely being cut by reel mower or maybe even a hand tool (I'm reminded of "flail" when I read "frail"!) I just know that machine-cut grass doesn't lie on the ground as I picture Larkin's grass doing. So in that regard, I see not man-made destruction but participation in the natural process.

Another quirk: could Queen Anne's lace really bloom in June in England? It blooms around the end of July here. But how impertinent of me to question an Englishman about the Queen's lace!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

oblivion wrote:We did a lot of work in the yard and garden yesterday, including cutting the grass, which (surprise, surprise) reminded me of this poem by Philip Larkin:
Cut Grass
Thanks, Oblivion, I learned a new word trying to figure this poem out. My new word: enjambement. I am still not so sure what to make of this poem. It does not so much seem like death, as a cycle or rather more like the way life depends on death for it's very life.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:Hey, you're a very good selector. I'd like to see your Top 50.
I think this quote has the seed of a splendid idea. I think it would be great fun to have a thread that folks could post their top 10 favoirtes. Someone could count up to see if any poems were mentioned more than once or even twice. I'd really enjoy seeing what poems are favorites.

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”