• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What movie scared you when you were a kid?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
poohza
Getting Comfortable

Re: What movie scared you when you were a kid?

Unread post

I have to agree about the Wizard of Oz. The flying monkeys...ugh. When I was a little older (teen?) I watched The Shining and it really scared me. Actually, it still scares me.
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Not so much a movie, but Twin Peaks is pretty terrifying. Sarah Palmer and Laura Palmer for that matter screaming still give me nightmares. And I really did not like Saw nor any of the three sequels that were shoved down my throat at parties. Bloody awful.
"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"And without joy life doesn't deserve life's name"
- Desiderius Erasmus
ktsetsi
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Robocop scared me because of all the blood. It was the most blood I'd seen in a movie, at the time.

Suspense-wise, it was The Hitchhiker.
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

Interview With A Vampire made me scared that someone would bite my neck at night. For quite a few years, I slept with my blankets up to my neck. Does that count?
N3M0
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Like Shalimar, I also watched Chucky when I wasn't old enough for that... I think I was about 10 or 11 and spent the night at a friend's house. Unfortunately, this friend had a big brother who lent us some movies and of course, we decided to watch the most gruesome one. Afterwards, we spent the rest of the night sitting together on the sofa, being afraid to move. The following nights weren't much better...
The second worst film I saw was It. I watched it with my elder sister when I was 12 and since that night I really, really, really detest clowns! Some years later I took care of a babysitter-child and nearly got a heart-attack because she really loved clowns and her room was full of them. ;-) Somewhen I got used to them, but I think I will never ever again really enjoy watching clowns.
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895, Act I
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I think a better question, for me, would be what movie DIDN'T scare me as a kid?

You wouldn't know it to know me now, obsessed with horror movies and zombies and whatnot, but I was one of the most easily scared children EVER. I literally cried when some kid startled me by yelling "boo!" at me after a we watched a movie in school. (I will say that I wasn't as easily scared as my brother, who refused to see the classic Spielberg movie "Hook," and was afraid of the CG stuff in "Aladdin." I was never THAT bad.)

But I was scared by, just to name a few:

Spaceballs -- Not the whole movie, just Pizza the Hut. The idea of him "eating himself to death" scared me so much that I had trouble falling asleep if I thought about it.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- The original Oompa-Loompa songs gave me the creeps, even though I loved the movie anyway.

Both my brother and I refused to watch Star Wars for years because my father told us that Darth Vader was scarier than Dark Helmet. Yeah. Lame.

Matinee -- Not even Matinee. The movie inside the movie, Mant, about man-eating ants, was what scared me. Nope, not the Cuban missile crisis, Mants.

Jurassic Park -- I wasn't actually scared while watching, but I did have weird dreams about dinosaurs stomping throughout my neighborhood trying to eat people. Somehow I always survived. Go me.

I'm sure there were many others. I was a sheltered, scared little kid. I liked books better than movies, and even the weirdest things in a book would scare me less than something even less harmful in a movie. Strange, eh?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I can't remember the title - but the film which gave me nightmares as a child, was an Abbot and Costello - comic one in which there was a frantic pillow fight and the room was full of feathers and they were sneezing and couldn't breath........

I woke up gasping for breath for weeks after seeing that at the Saturday Matinee in our local cinema.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Penelope! :D
It really is interesting what scares a child. Some movies are no brainers, but who would have thought something as innocuous as a pillow fight would produce nightmares. The imagination of children always fascinates me.

"The Hand" scared me. It was about a chopped off hand that crawled around looking for necks to strangle. I watched it with my parents and older brother, I suppose there were no "viewer discretion" warnings at the time. I still remember how terrified I was over that movie.

What about now, as adults? I think one of the most terrifying movies I have seen during my adult years is "Saving Private Ryan". I so regret watching those scenes on the beach, before covering my eyes. I realize it was made to show viewers the realism of the event, but wow, I felt every bullet!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Hi Suzanne

Yes, I remember 'The Hand' - it was horrid but I think we saw the funny side. :wink:

I sometimes like a really creepy film, but the only one I have never been able to watch to the end is 'Event Horizon' - It is only about two years ago since I attempted to watch it through - but no, it is absolutely terrifying.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I love Event Horizon -- that's a really good "scares you while you're watching it" movie, and the story and acting are both really well done.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”