Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Can you be an artist and a writer, as well? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Post Can you be an artist and a writer, as well?
I am an artist, and am able at it. I would also like to write (not so able at that, but willing). Is there anyone who combines writing and art? If so how do you do it? How should I start? Suggestions?

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Post Re: Can you be an artist and a writer, as well?
I am an artist and i am putting the finishing touches on a 700-800 page book.

I don't necessarily think there is a huge correlation between creating visual art and writing, other than perhaps the increased ability to visualize your characters, or settings, and give more specific descriptions of things.

Even having a great analytical eye for detail may not help you without a voice and vocabulary to express what it is you can see.

For me, i just came up with a scenario. Then i imagined what a world would be like if that scenario were true. what changes would there be in that world, from what you see now? Then you set your characters to resolving some conflict around your concept, and for me, the character backgrounds and the worlds they inhabit lead to the story. Think of where your characters are from, what they want, and that should lead you to how they will react to things.

It sort of writes itself, once you get going.

I think the most important part is to just start writing. You may not like what you are creating, but don't delete it. Keep it, then start over in a new document. The experience of writing the first draft will improve your second. you keep the first, even if you don't like its voice, because you probably have a great many good ideas buried in your prose.

Just get in there and start writing!

Good luck.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm
Creative Writing Student

Thank you, that gives me encouragement! So scary to try, but what is there to lose, right?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:24 am
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

Yeah, just start doing it.

You probably won't like the first thing you write, but just keep going.

Like i said, always keep what you write, even if it is garbage. You might use a phrase in there that you could put in something you like, or a concept that doesn't quite work for that story, but would be the perfect set-piece for a different one.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:19 am
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

I don't know if it's what you have in mind, but you might check out Suzi Becker. I recently read her book I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?. I found it both touching and entertaining.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.