• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

POLL: Help us pick our Feb. & Mar. 2010 NON-FICTION book

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

Re: POLL: Help us pick our Feb. & Mar. 2010 NON-FICTION book

Unread post

Thanks Chris, The Passion of the Western Mind gets my three votes. The discussion could be lively. That will be fun.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Two votes for Shermer, one for Tarnas.

I'm most interested in the implications of recent science on the nature of consciousness, which is what it sounds like Shermer addresses. The Tarnas book sounds interesting too.
oblivion wrote:What we would actually be doing is using the direction, the influence of, this very line of thought in order to actually talk about it. This is part of our culture--how much of it do we recognize?
And to what extent is it possible to use the tools a culture provides to truly understand the culture? By defining what's matters and what doesn't, I suspect culture directs our attention, somewhat in the same way a magician does so that we fail to notice some features of our experience. I think understanding culture requires that we be able to step aside from it, at least momentarily, and develop the ability to look without preconceptions or judgements. I'm guessing some of what Shermer shares might help explain why doing this is so difficult.
Tom
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'll cast 1 vote for each so that brings the current tally to...

Book 1
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - 4 votes

Book 2
The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas that Have Shaped Our World View - 17 votes

Book 3
The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule - 3 votes
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm ending this poll now as the winner is pretty clear. Thank you to everyone that contributed in this book selection process. I'll try to have the new book announced and the forum up as quickly as possible. :)

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”