• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Tim Burton fan, anyone?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
PrincessCricket
Almost Comfortable

Tim Burton fan, anyone?

Unread post

I think Tim Burton is brilliant! I actually got to meet him at the book signing at the MOMA. I've been a fan ever since I was a baby (my first film was either Pee-wee's Big Adventure or Beetlejuice).

I am excited for Alice in Wonderland (my favorite book of all time) and Dark Shadows to come out.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Tim Burton fan, anyone?

Unread post

PrincessCricket wrote:I think Tim Burton is brilliant!
That's interesting. Most of his work seems pretty dark to me. :lol:

Sorry... Yes I have enjoyed most everything I've seen by him, so I guess I might be a fan.
PrincessCricket wrote:I actually got to meet him at the book signing at the MOMA. I've been a fan ever since I was a baby (my first film was either Pee-wee's Big Adventure or Beetlejuice).

I am excited for Alice in Wonderland (my favorite book of all time) and Dark Shadows to come out.
How cool that you got to meet him. Was he easy to talk to?
Tom
PrincessCricket
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

He was actually a really nice person. I gave him a copy of Is Lydia Strange?, shook my hand, and signed my copy of The Art of Tim Burton (best $60 I've ever spent).
j.a.nicole
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I quite enjoy Tim Burton's work, although I have to admit it's getting a little boring seeing Johnny Depp in almost every Tim Burton film that comes out...not that I don't like Johnny Depp, because I do...

I absolutely can't wait for Alice in Wonderland to come out though. I have a strange obsession with film adaptations, and I'm really excited about a Burton version. Star cast, aswell. Anne Hathaway (who I saw live in central park in june '09..), Stephen Fry (His royal awesomeness...) and Johnny Depp to name but a few.
John Bayley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i most certainly am a Tim Burton fan, i love (almost) all his work. His adaptation of Alice in Wonderland looks fantastic, and i cannot wait to see it. :D

Has anyone read The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy - And Other Short Stories By Tim Burton? Quite charming little poems and illustrations, i would suggest it to any Tim Burton fan who hasn't already seen it.
PrincessCricket
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Oyster Boy is a really good book.
poohza
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Love Oyster Boy! I also love Nightmare before Christmas. I know, I know, Disney. but I just can't help it...
N3M0
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Tim Burton is great!!! All his films I've seen spread a fantastic and lovely as well as a dark and pensive mood. That's really great about him. I like his 'Corpse Bride' best, but 'Sleepy Hollow' is really good as well.
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895, Act I
SlyPaul
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm a big fan as well, back to Batman, Beetlejuice, James and the Giant Peach and the rest. I'm also really looking forward to Alice.
Life is like a good book, just don't try to read the ending first.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I am a big fan of Tim Burton, although I'm not fond of the way he treated Sweeney Todd. He took out most of the musical (the entire chorus' narration, for example) and made Sondheim's dark but comical melodrama into a full-blown tragedy. That, and using his favorites (Johnny Depp and wife Helena Bonham Carter) made the characters look at least 10 years younger than they should have been, which in turn trickled down to the younger characters, so that Antony, who is supposed to be an experienced sailor, only looks about 12, and Toby, who is supposed to be late teens-early twenties but just a little slow, is turned into a child no older than 10. It also makes both Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett sexier than they ever should be, and not that I don't love both of those actors, they really aren't meant to be singers.

But anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, especially with Crispin Glover as the Knave. That should be something worth seeing. Crispin Glover is a cult favorite of mine. :)

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”