• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Alice Chapter Two - The Pool of Tears

#76: Nov. - Dec. 2009 (Fiction)
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Alice Chapter Two - The Pool of Tears

Unread post

Penelope, thank you for the link (btw, dogs grin as well, at least all of mine do).
Robert, of course! Yes! I'd completely forgotten about the introduction of Darwinism and Marxism plus the Industrial Revolution. It obviously was a frightening, insecure time. Thanks for setting me right.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Alice Chapter Two - The Pool of Tears

Unread post

Thank you for that explanation Robert:

I hadn't thought about the turbulent times in which 'Alice' was published. I always think of the First World War as the occurence which changed everything, peoples faith, womens' position in society etc., which of course it did.

I don't know if I have mentioned this, but I collect 'Girls Own Paper'. A magazine for girls and ladies of all stratas in society. Articles for kitchen maids and for debutantes. The magazine ran for 70 years, through two World Wars, and I always think it gives a very good picture of how the times and ideas change. It begins in 1886ish with 'ladies' doing little other than sitting in the drawing room embroidering something dainty. But after the war, they are encouraged to become 'typewriters' or to start businesses - like opening tea-rooms or tea gardens. Of course there weren't many young men left for them to marry, so often two ladies lived and worked together.

The articles and stories are rather pious I suppose, but I find them a breath of fresh air in these liberal times.

Anyway, this is why I hadn't really taken a bird's eye view of the decades just prior to this publication appearing and I'm really grateful to you for the pointer.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - by Lewis Carroll”