• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Anybody for Rock Fiction?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
chadwrite
Getting Comfortable

Anybody for Rock Fiction?

Unread post

Rock Fiction is a new, loosely defined genre. I'm an ex-musician-- I played with some top tier bands in the 70's and 80's, and as a writer I'm finding my experiences a rich source for spinning some unique and creative adventures.

I've enjoyed reading Roger Trott's "Getting in Tune," it's got the real juice, and I just finished reading Sherman Alexie's "Reservation Blues." Even though Sherman's not a musician, he writes like one! If you'd like to check out "Smoking Jimi" and "Stealing Margo" at chadwrite.com, I'd love to get your reaction! It's fun to write, and I hope this genre gets traction, it's worthy!
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Anybody for Rock Fiction?

Unread post

chadwrite wrote:I just finished reading Sherman Alexie's "Reservation Blues." Even though Sherman's not a musician, he writes like one
Man I loved that book. I have some of his other stuff as well and saw his movie "The Business of Fancy Dancing." How'd you come across Sherman's book?
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Here's the URL to Chad's site:

http://chadwrite.com/index.php
chadwrite
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I saw Sherman do a reading at the Miami Book Fair back in the late 90's, I think it was. Indian Killer had just come out, and I really liked his style. I grew up with a few Indian friends, and there is something about Indian storytelling and Indian humor that I've always appreciated. Regardless, Sherman is a brilliant writer. I sometimes stop and let out a cheer when he hits a good "note."
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

chadwrite wrote:...there is something about Indian storytelling and Indian humor that I've always appreciated...
Have you read James Welch or Leslie Marmon Silko or other such writers? I have to agree with you about the storytelling style and the humor. Did you see Smoke Signals and Powwow Highway?
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
chadwrite
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I haven read Silko or Welch, but they look interesting, especially Silko. Oh, yes, and there's Tony Hillerman, who writes stories that take place on a Southwestern rez, I enjoyed his work. That's the extent of my Indian experience. Farai Chideya has just released a work of Rock Fiction, Kiss the Sky. I've scanned the first few pages, and it looks like one of my next reads. Let's hope this fledgling genre can find its wings!
hmorba
Official Newbie!

Rockin Genre

Unread post

What a great new genre! I am brand new to the rock lit category, so does anyone have any good recommendations for someone just starting out? I dig classic rock and think that I would love anything from the 70's. Thanks!
chadwrite
Getting Comfortable

reply to hmorba

Unread post

I'd check out "Getting in Tune" by Roger Trott, a fun road trip with a 70's garage band; there's the Sherman Alexie "Reservation Blues"; and take a look at my two novels, Smoking Jimi and Stealing Margo. THese are in both ebook and print, see at h[url]ttp://www.chadwrite.com/[/url] Yesterday, I got a great review from the Chico ER at http://www.chicoer.com/entertainment/ci_13351494
I just gotta say, all musicians aren't cardboard characters out of central casting, and some of us can actually tell a damned good story.
That should get you started!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”