• In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

In need of a fright

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
I have read most of Poe, I agree, he can be creepy and morbid at times. I just read a collection of stories, Joyce Carol Oates, can't remember the title. She writes about the final days of famous writers, Poe is one of them. Very eewish! She did a good job on Mark Twain too.
:wbounce: That's so intersting. I like Edgar Allan Poe and Mark Twain. I wonder who else was written about. what was it again? Wild Nights, right? :D I'll see if I can find a copy :clap:

Hmmm...When I read "horror stories" I don't usually get scared by them. Stuff like non-fiction books Journey into Darkness (or something along that line), a compliation of cases that the Behavioral Analysis Science something in Quantico had worked on. Now those - the real, horrifying reality of people's cruelty is very friggin' scary... :no:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Fright

Unread post

Where've you been uod_sa_libro? I've missed you.

She also had stories on a Bronte sister, and Ernest Hemmingway. Hemmingway was interesting, Oates tried to get into his head during his last days.

She tried to write the stories in the writing style of the authors. Like I said, the story on Poe was great!
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Re: Fright

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:Where've you been uod_sa_libro? I've missed you.
I missed you, too!:oops: I missed BOOKTALK :ninjajig: and this ninjajig. :smile:

It's a new school year here in our country so I've been busy passing requirements :bananadance:

I wanna read that book... :bounce: I'm gonna look for it...hehehe :twisted:
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

May I recommend Shadows of Souls by Allan W. Azouz? :crazy:

Product Description
A mother and daughter's mutual hatred draws an evil force into their home - disembodied, troubled souls waging a battle that unleashes an unstoppable power, hell bent on destroying everyone who gets in its way... Misery haunted Victoria Kayen, trapped in a dark, depressing world with her wheelchair-bound mother, Edith. She dutifully delivered medications, served meals, and cleaned up after the weekly visits from her mother's crony friends. Victoria's only escape was found in the pages of cheap romance novels. The confining house that stifled her life evolved and took on a life of its own with strange creaks and crying noises. Then the shadowy figure of a man appeared, watching from every dark corner. As if that wasn't bad enough, the rat population in the area exploded and they constantly scratched at the walls, trying to get in. Victoria made a bold decision one evening - to venture out to a bar and experience life as a normal woman. That's where she came face to face with her destiny, the shadowy figure that had stalked her, this time appearing in the form of a corporeal man possessed by two souls. One, a pious Reverend preaching hellfire and damnation on the street corner by day, the other, a passionate individual named Clay who enjoyed the pleasures of the earth by night. Her clandestine relationship with Clay fueled the dueling souls' war, and also spawned the Reverend's worst nightmare - an unspeakable evil - a thing both determined to destroy and impossible to fight...
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Ok, I will give this a try. My novella, ZAHIR. Find it at www.gregoryjsaunders.com or lulu.com, or Amazon. When contmplating a horror novel, I looked for a theme that was little done. I ran across a news story from Central America about a creature he called, "Zahir", the one with the evil eye. Welcome to Zahir, where oil speculation meets the true protector of the Amazon. The 'Mother's' defenders. Deep in the jungle no one gets out alive.

p.s. please visit the website, gregoryjsaunders.com. I have short ficton of many flavors all free to read.
Patrick Kilgallon
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I suspect the last two posts, the excitement had gotten the best of you two authors. I don't want to confront you or anything but when authors recommend their own books, that behavior alienates rather than attracts potiental readers. It would be best if you can limit yourselves to the Fiction Suggestions thread and attract readers to your profile with good points and recommendation of others' books. But it is your decision on whether to accept my advice or not, s'up to you man.

Just a friendly word of advice from a guy whose future readers head for the hills whenever he shows up at a social function with flyers about his first novel.
bluet
Creative Writing Student

Re: In need of a fright

Unread post

My favorite all time ghost story, and one I would recommend to anyone is The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. This is a very well written and slightly subtle horror story. The house is of course the main character for horror, but it really comes down to psychological problems that the characters have that makes the story really work. Shirley Jackson is a master at people that have troubles in her stories, and this is no different. There are parts in this book that truly send chills.
Patrick15

Re: In need of a fright

Unread post

I would recommend an e-book/novella I read a few months back. I don’t normally read mainstream horror, so I’m not sure how this would compare to other modern horror stories, however I found it to be quite good. It was recommended to me by a close friend.

The book is Shelly, by Joseph Huntzinger – a new author I think.

-P

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”