• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

kysondra it's just my opinion

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
docxen
Getting Comfortable

kysondra it's just my opinion

Unread post

cause i prefer my eggs scrambled..... it's just my opinion that i would let one suffer for the greater good. Hundreds of people walk past the poor on the side of the road. So if everyone could have plenty except for one i hate to say it but i think i would let it happen. I never say anything about a defective child but i do think if it was mine i would try busting it out and run away. It is a horrible way to feel but i think if i'm honest it's what i would do.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

Doxcen,

I know I'm not Krysondra, and I'm sure she will have something insightful to say when she reads your post, but I wanted to point out something that is a difference between walking or driving past the poor without aiding them and intentionally forming a pact to keep someone poor or derelict. If I walk past someone, I am saying, "I cannot help you, i can only help myself",which could be considered selfish or evil, but is really just singular in nature. If you make a pact with others to keep someone poor, you are saying "you will never be anything than what you are because we have decreed it" which makes you in control of that person's life. The first example shows you in control of your life only, the second puts you in the position of control over others. This is what I do not like about the scapegoating aspect of Omelas and why it should never be "decided" that anyone should be sacrificed by a group of people unless they decide it themselves.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

I was just trying to further the discussion and perhaps tie it back to the one we had about "The Lottery" where everyone worked to kill the "winner", even if it was a family member.

I'm sorry if I offended you. (Maybe it's because I just don't like eggs of any sort.) But I am truly sorry. I didn't mean to belittle your decisions or opinions. I hope you can forgive me, and we can find another way into a discussion on scapegoats and what happiness is worth to an individual.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
docxen
Getting Comfortable

poetress is it not deciding

Unread post

It is deciding isn't it. You may not have a lot but you could take the person on the road and let them live with you. Give them food you have and make them a member of your home. I do not say i would like to be like in this fantasy society only i know my own limitations and i believe i would go along with the crowd. I am glad others would not.

Return to “Short Story Discussions”