• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Suggest fiction books for October & November

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: suggesstions

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:"Wild Nights"
Joyce Carol Oats

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nights-Joyce ... 0912348135
I just bought this on Amazon, but I don't know if I'll participate in a discussion so my input should be ignored!

The book I mentioned on another thread is Haunted Women: The Best Supernatural Tales by American Women, edited by Alfred Bendixen. It would be cool to discuss this book. The book is out of print, but can be found on abebooks.com for a couple of bucks. Probably many of these stories can be found online as well and we can just select a few and discuss any time.

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Women-Sup ... 0804461015

1. The Amber Gods by Harriet Prescott Spofford

2. The True Story of Guenever by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps

3. The Ghost in the Cap'n Brown House by Harriet Beecher Stowe

4. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

5. The Story of the Day by Grace King

6. The Little Room by Madelene Yale Wynne

7. Her Letters by Kate Chopin

8. The Foreigner by Sarah Orne Jewett

9. Luella Miller by Mary Wilkins Freeman

10. The Lost Ghost by Mary Wilkins Freeman

11. The Bell in the Fog by Gertrude Atherton

12. The Fullness of Life by Edith Wharton

13. Pomegranite Seed by Edith Wharton
-Geo
Question everything
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction suggestion

Unread post

"The Best Supernatural Tales by American Women"

Love this one. Thanks Geo!

I just checked Amazon, there are many for sale. I just bought one for $6.39 including shipping. My kinda deal! I'm going to read it no matter what.

I think this is a great idea. We've been having a lot of fun discussing creepers on another thread. We could set the thread up story by story. People can pop in where ever they happen to be in the book.

I like this one because of the diversity of the authors. A book of short stories by one author can get tiresome. I also like the supernatural genre, perfect for the fall.

Only problem, it is an out of print book. Chris will have to chime in with his comments on this one.
Last edited by Suzanne on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

Smoke and Mirrors - Neil Gaiman

SF Site Review

I found this book to be amazing and wide-ranging. However, I'm also interested in geo's suggestion if everyone can get a copy. I looked up Wild Nights, and it seemed like it might be a long read. Is it?
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction suggestion

Unread post

The stories in "Wild Nights" are longer. There are only five of them. About 40 pages per story.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I vote for "Smoke and Mirrors", but then I'm partial to Gaiman. I haven't read that anthology yet and it looks like a good read from the reviews. I wasn't able to find the out of print book through my library so I will go with the one I can order for free.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction suggestion

Unread post

I'm going to jump on the "Smoke and Mirrors" band wagan. I agree with Poettess, the out of print book may prove to be difficult to get, and difficult to advertise.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

So is Smoke and Mirrors everyone's choice? We really don't have enough fiction participants to warrant the effort and time of a poll. Let's discuss it and make a selection.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

fiction suggestion

Unread post

I say yes to "Smoke and Mirrors".

". . .he will dazzle your senses, haunt your imagination and move you to the depths of your soul" (book jacket).
[Gaiman] constructs stories like some demented cook might make a wedding cake, building layer upon layer, including all kinds of sweet and sour in the mix.
Clive Barker

His introduction describes his inspiration for writing each of the stories which is interesting. I think he is a fantastic writer and his stories are original.

I'm looking forward to reading it.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

I say yes to Smoke and Mirrors.

It's easy for people to participate where they are interested in in the stories. They don't have to read the whole book. So, it's easily accessible for old and new members.

Not to mention, I think it's a great collection. *G*
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It's all smoke and mirrors with you guys. :cool:

The next question we need to ask is if you want Smoke and Mirrors to be discussed in September and October or October and November. Think about it and let me know. :smile:

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”