• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Guns, Germs, and Steel

#4: Sept. - Oct. 2002 (Non-Fiction)
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Guns, Germs, and Steel

Unread post

(I reposted this on this part of the forums, thank you iluvbooksz13 for the sugestion)

Hello my fellow members of BookTalk. Let me start by introducing myself. My name is David, and I am a new member to BookTalk. The reason I joined is because i am take a rigorous social studies class (World History AP) and i thought maybe coming here would help me.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is a very good book but sadly, (at my level of education as a 9th grader) there are some parts in the book that i dont understand. I.E too complex.

There are a few questions about the book and i was wondering if i could get some answers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What takes account for the economic difference between these great nations?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

welcome

Unread post

Welcome David!

There are many complex people here at BT, hopefully some will come to your aid.

I'm not familiar with the book you have mentioned, but there are many history buffs here.

Good luck to you
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Sure bud, what are your questions? It's a very good book.
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Sure bud, what are your questions? It's a very good book.
When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What takes account for the economic difference between these great nations?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Are you quoting the questions verbatim? You may have to expand on these a bit, it's been a while since I've read the book.

My first notion is that the cause and effect of global economics is so enormously complex that no single theory will account.
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I have a report due about the book right? So I have been searching through the book and i do not know the answer.

This is the question i have to answer:
When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What accounts for the economic difference between these great nations?

Im pretty sure the theories have to do with the answer to Yali's question.

Im looking through chapters 16 and 18. (Im sorry if the question is so broad) :s
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I remember a good deal of the book, but that question seems to be the type where you need to have freshly read it. I'm not even sure what the difference between the American and Chinese economies is.
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Alright ill see if i can find anything in the book
SharcBate1
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Well i was talking to my friend and the answer just dawned to me. The answer is not in the book but rather relates to comparing the United States and China today. One thing has to do with Government. Another is Religion
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I'm sorry if I came into this late...but I looked up a brief synopsis of the book online and I think you are right in the fact that a communist outlook versus a capitalist outlook would produce very different tendancies and cultural norms for a group of people. Religion also could have a huge impact on how people think and react to situations. Asian people (and many other cultural groups) have a communal outlook and self sacrificing ideal whereas western culture idealizes individualism and competition. I think these things may have played a large part in the differences between resource production and wealth in US and China. These are just quick thoughts about your question, however, since I have not formally read the book. I think you are on the right track though with your paper, good luck!

Return to “Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - by Jared Diamond”