• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Need Help Picking A Summer Reading Book...

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.

What Book Would You Most Recommend?

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

13%
A Farewell to Arms

13%
All the Pretty Horses

13%
The Red Badge of Courage

38%
Black Boy---Richard Wright

13%
The Crucible---Arthur Miller

No votes
Ethan Frome---Edith Wharton

13%

Total votes: 8
ksyankeefan

Need Help Picking A Summer Reading Book...

Unread post

So, we received the summer reading list for my AP English Literature class next year, and was looking for some advice on which ones to (or not to) choose.

We have to choose 2 of the following:

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass—Frederick Douglass
A Farewell to Arms—Ernest Hemingway
All the Pretty Horses—Cormac McCarthy
The Red Badge of Courage—Stephen Crane
Black Boy---Richard Wright
The Crucible---Arthur Miller
Ethan Frome---Edith Wharton

Anything you know about any of these books would help. Thanks!
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

I don't know if The Red Badge of Courage is your thing, but considering that the writer hadn't even gone to war before and when he wrote the book, it's a great read. Though I'm still not through reading it yet. Hehehehe :P
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I read Black Boy in High School and found it very interesting and well written. Of course, I like narrative glimpses into other's lives and situations so if that is not your thing, you may not want to go for it.
Kristin2477
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I really loved The Crucible when I read it in High School. It's a quick read, although there is a lot of symbolism and you really have to look beyond the surface story to get at what Miller is trying to say. Even on the surface, though, it's a really entertaining story.
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

uod_sa_libro wrote:I don't know if The Red Badge of Courage is your thing, but considering that the writer hadn't even gone to war before and when he wrote the book, it's a great read.
Agreed I read a little of it, author actually had a good understanding of what he was talking bout...hmm...:hmm:
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
Patrick Kilgallon
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

Red Badge of Courage it is. I often like to say to myself that it made Civil War like Vietnam, the impact of reality of war and suffering, even insanity.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”