• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Drag me to Hell

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Drag me to Hell

Unread post

anyone like this movie the way i did?

I am a long time fan of Sam Raimi. There seems to be little hope that Ashe will return to the screen as the most impressive zombie slayer in movie history. Bruce Cambell seems to be pretty tied down with Burn Notice, which is a great show on USA netork, and Sam Raimi has been busy making multi-million dollar movies.

After seeing Drag me to Hell, i almost think Sam has been wasting his tme making spiderman movies. I like spiderman movies, they are a good bit of escapism, but Drag me to Hell was a return of the classic horror movie.

It doesn't rely on our gag reflex to bring out the screams. It does'nt ask you to put on your murder mask and vicariously murder teenagers, as seen in the pocipsi tapes, or to identify with the bad guy, as in the Saw franchise.

If you are at all a fan of horror, check out Drag me to Hell.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I too am a Raimi fan but I have yet to see this movie.

But it sounds fun.

I must go and check it out…

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
ABookADay
Master Debater

Unread post

Sounds good. I definitely have to go and see this
N3M0
Almost Comfortable

Re: Drag me to Hell

Unread post

I think 'Drag me to hell' wasn't a brilliant film... I really enjoy watching horror movies and if you often watch those, you somewhen get used to it and kind of know what'll come next because most horror movies are structured in the same way.

So I hoped that 'Drag me to hell' would make an exeption and offer something new, but that wasn't the case. It was the old story: A woman is cursed, she's scared, gruesome things happen (she kills her cat to get rid of her curse for instance), there seems to be a solution, but in the end she nevertheless dies.

This sounds in fact worse than I mean it. The film wasn't really a bad film, it was a good and ordinary horror movie. But, as I said, ordinary, not pioneering.
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895, Act I
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I watched this with my family a few months ago. Yes, parts of it were scary, but what really made it fantastic was the honest to goodness belly laughs it produced in myself and my teenagers. Maybe belly laughter was not the intention, but OH man, that movie was funny! Some of the scenes with the old lady attacking the young woman had me in stiches!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I actually find myself thinking about this movie randomly throughout the day, with nothing prompting it. It wasn't a brilliant movie, but it wasn't the worst horror movie that's come out in the last few years. It wasn't Sam Raimi at his best, but it was definitely Sam Raimi, and I loved seeing the way his hand moved this piece.

There were certain moments that, for me, were breathtaking --as in, I gasped in sudden fear -- and other moments that I laughed too hard to hear the next few lines and had to rewind the DVD. The scene in the car where the old gypsy woman, without teeth, tries to eat the girl's face was just so frightening and yet so hilarious that anytime I see anything that reminds me of it (and I do mean ANYTHING), I have to suppress a really strange smile. I also like the irony at the ending that I knew was coming (it being a Sam Raimi movie I already knew there was no way she was going to live happily ever after), and the look on Justin Long's face was almost priceless. He just sort of watched, dumbfounded, having the look of total innocent shock of someone who doesn't realize he's in a horror movie. And then it was over, that abrubtly. Hilarious.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I liked it and would like to see it again.

It certainly beats Rodriguez's "Planet Terror." :lol:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I think you summed up this movie very well. I also had many of the same reactions.
bleachededen wrote:and the look on Justin Long's face was almost priceless. He just sort of watched, dumbfounded, having the look of total innocent shock of someone who doesn't realize he's in a horror movie. And then it was over, that abrubtly. Hilarious.
:lol:
I agree.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”