• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

OFFICIAL POLL: June & July 2009 Non-Fiction

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Grim wrote:Question: why are we voting on Good Natured when the author has written a much newer and "expanded" version about the same topic????

http://www.amazon.com/Primates-Philosop ... n_edpp_url
I have no problem with "upgrading." This newer book is a bit more academic in its presentation and I do appreciate the inclusion of some of the theoretical conflict that followed the release of Good Natured. I love releases that give you a peek at academic yelling matches - ooops sorry, I should have said "deeply considered argumentation".
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Grim wrote:Mary "Descartes’ Error is a more strictly philosophical argument."

Well it's really more of a neurological answer to a philosophical mistake that is already pretty much recognized as such.
I do think Descartes dualism is considered by most philosophers as untenable. That, however, doesn't stop us from living as if it were true. Much of humanity's "common sense" explanation of the experience of being human (religiosity, spiritual explanations, notions that surround moral activity) still relies heavily on the idea that there is something immaterial guiding our hand, that thoughts are free-floating immaterial things, somehow independent of our bodies. I mean this stuff is coded into our language. The idea that we have a mind and a brain, for example.

Damasio's book is a neurological answer to that, yes. Another way to try and undermine the still pretty solid common-sense understanding and foster change.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

MaryLupin wrote:
Grim wrote:Mary "Descartes’ Error is a more strictly philosophical argument."

Well it's really more of a neurological answer to a philosophical mistake that is already pretty much recognized as such.
I do think Descartes dualism is considered by most philosophers as untenable. That, however, doesn't stop us from living as if it were true.
Truly. Of course I was referring rather strictly to the Philosophy of Mind view of the matter which I believe the book attempts to address. Dualism is evident in a number of self-contradicting perspectives as you suggest.

:book:
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

If I had know that morality was going to be our topic I would have suggested: Moral Machines by Wendall Wallach and Colin Allen. These people are trying to teach computers to act morally...fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Moral-Machines-Te ... 0195374045

:book:
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Grim wrote:If I had know that morality was going to be our topic...
I don't think we actually picked a topic so much as the books in which people showed most interest happened all to have a moral theme. The idea of teaching machines morality is really cool. Thanks for posting the link.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We have some great books on the poll so no matter what we're bound to have an interesting discussion period. I'm looking forward to it.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Got here without my grocery lists

Unread post

Three votes for "Good Natured". I like a big bite.

Suzanne
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Got here without my grocery lists

Unread post

Suz wrote:Three votes for "Good Natured". I like a big bite.
:snicker:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Only 3 people other than myself have voted so far in this poll. :oops:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Three votes for Good Natured. I really enjoyed reading De Waal's Our Inner Ape, and find his genetic approach to ethics very illuminating. If this book wins the poll I would also be happy to consider switching to his more recent Primates and Philosophers. His Tanner lecture on the theme of these books is at http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/lect ... l_2005.pdf

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”