• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The Name of the Rose: First Day

#63: Feb. - Mar. 2009 (Fiction)
whirledpeas
Official Newbie!

Just started reading

Unread post

I'm on Day 2 now. I think I may have read this book before, or maybe I saw the movie. I love the intricacies of the material...I think everyone should be aware of how we have gotten to where we are today as a society and in our religious/spiritual practices. In some ways I think we may have gone backwards. I especially enjoy the discussion of whether Jesus laughed (that might be in Day 2).
farmgirlshelley
Intern

what do you think

Unread post

What does everyone think of the book? is everyone finished with day 1 now?
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: what do you think

Unread post

farmgirlshelley wrote:What does everyone think of the book? is everyone finished with day 1 now?
Yes, Farmgirl, I've now read the book, and have tried to look into background. I was unaware what a tragic time the 1300's were, with famine, violence, and the failure of institutions as exemplified by the burning of the Abbey.

Tom

Return to “The Name of the Rose - by Umberto Eco”