• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Judge a book by its cover.

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Judge a book by its cover.

Unread post

It is said you should never judge a book by its cover, but first impressions make the book in many cases. How affected are you by this first impression?

As a novelist, I try to intrigue with the cover. On my website I have created a tab showing the genesis of the idea, the art and the final product. I look forward to this discussion.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com

Last edited by gjswriter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Perhaps the text should be pearlescent and/or red. What's the story about?
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

You are so right.

gjswriter wrote:
first impressions make the book in many cases.
I'm not sure I would pick this book up if I saw it in the book store. It reminds me of ... an old Science Fiction novel.
This Island Earth by Raymond F. Jones, later made into a Sci-Fi movie by the same name.

I mean no offense. It's only my first reaction.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
gjswriter

Zahir, the one with the evil eye.

Unread post

Interesting thought on the title color, I will take it to heart.

I started this book thinking I would use the chupacabra as the central theme, but I needed a spin. I didn't want to write about more traditional creatures or dieviant humans. In one of the chupacabra sightings the farmer involved called it a Zahir. That's what i used.

Oil exploration in the Amazon delves too deep and wakens the defenders, the Zahir. An exploration team goes missing and a rescue is organized. Deep in the Amazon no one gets out alive.

That's a brief description. I have received very good feedback on this one and will be converting it to a screen play this summer.

Thanks for asking,

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I may pick this book up and give it a go, but you have to stick around booktalk in case I want to discuss it!

Also, I think the creep needs some dirt on his face. Micro-textures or something to hide a bit of the artificial look. Maybe a pimple on the left cheek! :mrgreen:
gjswriter

Thanks for the input.

Unread post

That is exactly the type of input an author needs. And yes, I will be around here long term. I think this is a great site and have high hopes for introducing my work and getting more ideas from all the members.

Again, thanks. On my website is a tab with the concepts and finals of all my books if you care to take a look.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Maybe a pimple on the left cheek!
:laugh2:

That is too funny!

You are on to something though. A little less artificial looking. But gjswriter has definitely got something.

Nice site BTW. You've peeked my interest, Gjs.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
gjswriter

Thanks for the comments.

Unread post

I am already working on the cover for my next book and will keep your input in mind because this one will be more challenging than the other four. In fact, i will end up doing modified covers for the already produced books when I do second editions.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

You are fascinating and brilliant. I'm so glad you joined Booktalk.org
The Ritzy

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book Nut

Unread post

Based purely off the cover, I probably wouldn't read it. I don't know why. But that's just off seeing only the cover without reading the summary or the first few pages.

I tend to go based off the summary more than just the cover. I've been known to read books that have no cover art at all.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”