• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Invisibility Cloak

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Invisibility Cloak

Unread post

WASHINGTON (AP) - They can't match Harry Potter yet, but scientists are moving closer to creating a real cloak of invisibility.
Researchers at Duke University, who developed a material that can "cloak" an item from detection by microwaves, report that they have expanded the number of wavelengths they can block.

Last August the team reported they had developed so-called metamaterials that could deflect microwaves around a three-dimensional object, essentially making it invisible to the waves.

The system works like a mirage, where heat causes the bending of light rays and cloaks the road ahead behind an image of the sky.

The researchers report in Thursday's edition of the journal Science that they have developed a series of mathematical commands to guide the development of more types of metamaterials to cloak objects from an increasing range of electromagnetic waves.

"The new device can cloak a much wider spectrum of waves
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

[A cloak made of those materials, with a structure designed down to the submicroscopic scale, would neither reflect light nor cast a shadow.

Instead, like a river streaming around a smooth boulder, light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation would strike the cloak and simply flow around it, continuing on as if it never bumped up against an obstacle. That would give an onlooker the apparent ability to peer right through the cloak, with everything tucked inside concealed from view.]

Science these days is simply amazing. Imagine what a thing like that would cost though.

I do wonder what it would be used for and if it would be for the public.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I would use it, running around screaming "I am in your base capping your flag!" :mrgreen:
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Good luck with that!

If it was a true invisibility cloak such as the one in Harry Potter, I would stand in the middle of an intersection, wearing only a bathing suit or maybe nothing, I haven't decided yet, and just randomly flash myself.

How many people would think they're crazy seeing random flashes of a half naked chick in the middle of the road..
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

As long as we're daydreaming... I'd walk up to a televangelist during a live sermon and flick him in the nose every time he said a certain word. :bananadance:
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

So pantsing random people in the street and whispering things like "7 days" and "I know it was you" would be mere childsplay?

:wall:

Now does walking up to people talking shit, tapping them on the shoulder and punching them in the face also fall under that? and if that happened to you...would you laugh? or swing back?

But really, I would do all three.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I would pull out the pixie dust I stash in my pocket and shower them in it so they're visible, then steal the cloak.

Honestly, I would most likely do something media worthy, such as rob from the rich and give to the poor, with a bit of taxation for my own pleasure. Or maybe I'd hoard all the money like a demented chipmunk! Yeah, that's probably more like me.
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

YOU WOULD HAVE PIXIE DUST IN YOUR POCKET!

I am definately a sucker for St. Jude so some money would go there.

But for me..I would go completely unnecessary and mimic the movie Blank Check...huge house. I'd have an office with a huge water slide coming out of it heading to the pool. There would be a big blow up wrestling wring with oversized boxing gloves, another ring with the sumo suits, a racetrack and mini golf course in the backyard, one of those jump onto the velcro things, a rock climbing wall, a wall of t.v.s with a chair suspended from the ceiling that can be retracted to any level...

Actually, thats not exactly what I would do. It wouldn't be a pool it would be a lake. I would obviously have a boat fully equiped with wakeboards and then of course seado's. There would still be a track but Id go motorcycle before I went go-cart. Lastly I would have life passes to any/all ski-resorts for my snowboarding pleasure.

Yeah, that would be awesome.[/list]
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Rather than a free pass to all snowboarding places, how about having your house on top of a mountain, like BlackCombe, and have the entrance be a tunnel at ground level with a parking garage deep in the mountain and an elevator straight up to your house.

Hrm, then you'd have to have a separate house for wakeboarding and middle-of-the-lake trampoline jumping and turtle-catching.

While we're at it, building an entire town sounds like a good idea. Since what are the spoils of supervillainism if you have no one to share them with? Make houses for all your friends and tolerable family members. It would be a gated community where cool people could submit an application to live there. That's where the lake would be, with the snowboarding house being the vacation house.

A wall of TV's would be cool, but I'd need my own super-customized computer terminal with AC, Lazy-boy recliner, refrigerator, filtered water dispenser, etc. I'm a geek and laziness is paramount if I want to sit down and play a game.

One thing I've always wanted is a roller coaster that started on top of a mountain. Building them on flat ground is so boring, you can only go a few hundred feet into the air. The ride back up would have to be an underground super-fast magrail though.

Then I would donate money to stem cell research! :bananadance:
Laser Harbor
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

House on top of the mountain sounds legit. Good call on your part. I've never heard of BlackCombe, where abouts is it?

House on the lake is a must! Turtle-catching though I'm a little embarressed to say I have yet to encounter the sport. What kind of techniques are we workin with here? Is it like a suprise attack or do they know its going to happen? ha. I'm also gonna add THE BLOB from the movie where the kids go to fat camp. How could you not have a good time on that!

A town isn't a bad idea either although meeting new people is a plus sometimes and in a town that you regulate there wouldn't be chances to meet someone randomly! The application process is a nice touch though. But would I have to run it, because that could be boring at times and if you let other people run it for you, you end up with faulty people in your community and then you have to get tough and start kickin people out. Get me?

You a nerd? No! Have you seen the movie GRANDMA'S BOY, I think the video game genius's set up (Computer terminal) would be to your liking. If you go through with it though I would say that you absolutely HAVE TO wear the same attire. ha.

Rollercoaster on a mountain, I'm not sure how I would do with that! I used to hate them but I went on one yesterday that wasn't huge or anything but I enjoyed it. Your forgetting about the motorcycle track! It's essential to living.

To add to the dream here, im gonna go with a short order cook. Anything I want anytime I want it. I woul also have skydiving lessons and I would learn to be a pilot, just for kicks.
[/i]

Return to “Science & Technology”