Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Secret Garden: Chapters 22, 23 and 24 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

We plant the seeds and make it possible for them to grow. But something else makes them grow. Something else makes our hearts beat and 'breathes' us. The wonderful thing about gardening is that we are co-operating with this something else.

Penelope, you are a natural mystic with a friendly attitude toward The Great Unknown. But how are we going to have pacemakers and breathing aids if we stop with a mystical "something else"? Colin, remember, wanted science too.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:33 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Star Member

But Colin's science was based off of magical logic. Don't mean to offend anyone but his logic sounds alot like Scientology.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 am
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But Colin's science was based off of magical logic. Don't mean to offend anyone but his logic sounds alot like Scientology.

Colin believed he was doing positive thinking experiments, I think, but how are his ideas like Scientology, please?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 am
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Quote:
But how are we going to have pacemakers and breathing aids if we stop with a mystical "something else"? Colin, remember, wanted science too.

I wouldn't ever suggest that we sit about with our swords wrought into ploughshares......boring!!!

Like Colin, I want Science too. I appreciate scientific discovery, but it doesn't exclude the 'something else'. In fact, the 'something else' provides the inspiration for the scientific discovery.....don't you think,Tom?

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am

Like Colin, I want Science too. I appreciate scientific discovery, but it doesn't exclude the 'something else'. In fact, the 'something else' provides the inspiration for the scientific discovery.....don't you think,Tom?

Well, yes, especially in cases like Newton who spent more time on religion than he did on science and mathematics.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

Very interesting thread. As I was reading Secret Garden, I thought about the nexus between this "something else" and science. I think this is all about inspiration, the source of inspiration, the life force that moves people. If you know a person well I think you can detect this inspirational force, not by what they do so much, but by the light in their eyes and by their energy. In Colin's case, the gradual awakening of his "something else" inspired him to connect with the people and the natural world around him, manifesting itself in the material world as a blend of Magic and Science and his desire to be a scientist. Colin is a child with an unfortunate past who is coming into his own with the help of his "something else".

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:48 pm

Gold Contributor

Quote:
I think this is all about inspiration, the source of inspiration, the life force that moves people.

I don't believe in a 'life force' that moves people. I don't think we are just bodies with spirits attached.....but spirits (life force) inhabiting bodies. In other words, I don't believe the life force is separate from us, but that we are the life force.

Blimey!!! I don't believe I just typed that. :oops:

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't believe the life force is separate from us, but that we are the life force.

But we do receive inspiration from the environment, don't we?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:04 pm
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Blimey!!! I don't believe I just typed that

I can't believe that you just said "Blimey". I haven't heard that expression since I was kid and my Dad used to say it. Thanks .. a great memory.

:D

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Gold Contributor

giselle: It's nearly 8.00pm here, and I'm just trying to persuade my Grandson to get out of the bath, after having persuaded him to get into it in the first place!!!

Blimey!!!! Just call me Supergran!!! :laugh:

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Gold Contributor

Quote:
But we do receive inspiration from the environment, don't we?

We received inspiration from the environment, from one another, from great 'inspired' books. From people we meet. The light comes from all directions!!! Because it permeates everything and all of us.

It is just that I think we have to stop and be quiet, and tune in...pray?

The environment- (our garden)......is a good place to do that.

Well, that's what I believe anyway........and 'The Secret Garden' is an excellent allegory of that.

Rafael Sabatini

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Love
I see the life force you are describing as love. Real love involves a natural connection to underlying realities, of people, the environment and the cosmos. Love enables us to be who we really are instead of the fake mask persona constructed by social artifice. The Secret Garden observes that people have been taught not to love and explains how this delusory culture is a source of grief.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm
Profile Email WWW
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

If the positive life force is love, then the negative life force is perhaps hate, anger and hate. Just as you can feel that inspiration and light that fills your soul from another person, you can also feel hate. Hate or anger can radiate from a person causing those around them to shrink away and it also causes damage to the person with the negative emotions. The more a person hates, the less likely they will receive anything positive from around them or from within.
Mary seemed to more of a person filled with unhappiness rather than hate and anger, but it still had the effect of pushing people away. Sometimes it just takes one loving person to help someone along the road to love and less hate.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Gold Contributor

I have been reading a book which says that love is a constant, always there around us.

The book says that 'hate' is an illusion, not real, just a feeling, an emotion and does not really exist. Animals kill and eat one another but don't feel hatred. Only humans feel the 'illusion' of hatred.

It is a very interesting theory and I am giving a lot of thought to it.

It involves thinking about 'fear'. Which animals obviously do feel. And it is suggesting to me that what we call 'hatred' is just humanity trying to rationalise our 'fear'.

I know that in the Christian/Jewish tradition we are told (over 400 times in the Bible), to 'fear not'. I am wondering if in Hindu/Buddhism they are instructed to fear not.......

This post has a very tenuous link to 'The Secret Garden' and I apologise, but wonder if you, more erudite people, might be able to enlighten me.

Rafael Sabatini

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2