• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Secret Garden: Chapters 22, 23 and 24

#59: Dec. - Jan. 2009 (Fiction)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Very interesting thread. As I was reading Secret Garden, I thought about the nexus between this "something else" and science. I think this is all about inspiration, the source of inspiration, the life force that moves people. If you know a person well I think you can detect this inspirational force, not by what they do so much, but by the light in their eyes and by their energy. In Colin's case, the gradual awakening of his "something else" inspired him to connect with the people and the natural world around him, manifesting itself in the material world as a blend of Magic and Science and his desire to be a scientist. Colin is a child with an unfortunate past who is coming into his own with the help of his "something else".
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

giselle said:-
I think this is all about inspiration, the source of inspiration, the life force that moves people.
I don't believe in a 'life force' that moves people. I don't think we are just bodies with spirits attached.....but spirits (life force) inhabiting bodies. In other words, I don't believe the life force is separate from us, but that we are the life force.

Blimey!!! I don't believe I just typed that. :oops:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I don't believe the life force is separate from us, but that we are the life force.
But we do receive inspiration from the environment, don't we?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

penelope
Blimey!!! I don't believe I just typed that
I can't believe that you just said "Blimey". I haven't heard that expression since I was kid and my Dad used to say it. Thanks .. a great memory.

:D
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Blimey!!!!!

giselle: It's nearly 8.00pm here, and I'm just trying to persuade my Grandson to get out of the bath, after having persuaded him to get into it in the first place!!!

Blimey!!!! Just call me Supergran!!! :laugh:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quoting Tom:
But we do receive inspiration from the environment, don't we?
We received inspiration from the environment, from one another, from great 'inspired' books. From people we meet. The light comes from all directions!!! Because it permeates everything and all of us.

It is just that I think we have to stop and be quiet, and tune in...pray?

The environment- (our garden)......is a good place to do that.

Well, that's what I believe anyway........and 'The Secret Garden' is an excellent allegory of that.

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Love

Unread post

I see the life force you are describing as love. Real love involves a natural connection to underlying realities, of people, the environment and the cosmos. Love enables us to be who we really are instead of the fake mask persona constructed by social artifice. The Secret Garden observes that people have been taught not to love and explains how this delusory culture is a source of grief.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

If the positive life force is love, then the negative life force is perhaps hate, anger and hate. Just as you can feel that inspiration and light that fills your soul from another person, you can also feel hate. Hate or anger can radiate from a person causing those around them to shrink away and it also causes damage to the person with the negative emotions. The more a person hates, the less likely they will receive anything positive from around them or from within.
Mary seemed to more of a person filled with unhappiness rather than hate and anger, but it still had the effect of pushing people away. Sometimes it just takes one loving person to help someone along the road to love and less hate.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I have been reading a book which says that love is a constant, always there around us.

The book says that 'hate' is an illusion, not real, just a feeling, an emotion and does not really exist. Animals kill and eat one another but don't feel hatred. Only humans feel the 'illusion' of hatred.

It is a very interesting theory and I am giving a lot of thought to it.

It involves thinking about 'fear'. Which animals obviously do feel. And it is suggesting to me that what we call 'hatred' is just humanity trying to rationalise our 'fear'.

I know that in the Christian/Jewish tradition we are told (over 400 times in the Bible), to 'fear not'. I am wondering if in Hindu/Buddhism they are instructed to fear not.......

This post has a very tenuous link to 'The Secret Garden' and I apologise, but wonder if you, more erudite people, might be able to enlighten me.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “The Secret Garden - by Frances Hodgson Burnett”