• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

10 Best Books 2008

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

10 Best Books 2008

Unread post

The NY Times recently released their list of the top 10 books for 2008 here:

http://www.oculture.com/2008/12/10_best ... _2008.html

I managed to read none of them this year.

Does this mean that I am missing out on the cutting edge consciousness of literature?

Or do large review based institutions such as the NY Times Book review Department merely promote the distribution of prosaic ideas?
kbullfrog
Master Debater

Unread post

thanks for the post, i am going ahead and purchasing one of hte books on there....the one by robert bolano, called "2666: A Novel"
i will let you know how i liked it, though that shouldn't be for a couple of months...
cheers!
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

An interesting call in program of people recommending books they have read this past year:

http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R81222090 ... c79360f3f8

I especially enjoy the guy who recommends Limits of Power.

:book:
Last edited by Grim on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Again with a simple google search I was able to find:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=96539642

This time a collection of collections filled with books that I have no interest in reading. Who reads/buys this stuff? I had been under the assumption that NPR constituted "smart" media, of course opencultre often serves up little better. Ah well I guess I have a full year of books to look forward to.

:book:
sweisser
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I di dnot read any of these this year. I read so many children's books throughout the year I try to read simply for the enjoyment - stuff that is light and humorous. No heavy lifting!!
Grindle

NY Times Book review

Unread post

{quote} grim:Or do large review based institutions such as the NY Times Book review Department merely promote the distribution of prosaic ideas?

I think you have it right here Grim...but no list is going to suggest books that please everyone...theirs seems quite mundane most of the time. Grindle
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

I read none of the top ten list last year - I don't think I've ever seen them around before either.

However, there are a few on the top 100 list I am trying to find to read like Sir Gawain. I might have to check out Borders while I am there tomorrow if I get a chance.

It might just be me, but I always find some of these top ten/100 lists seem to have either hard to obtain books [for whatever reason - out of print, unavailable readily,etc], obscure books some people haven't heard of or books that are/can be only heard of in the country where the list is compiled. Thoughts?
Books are my life
lexley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I didn't read any of these. I was too busy studying! I hardly got any reading done outside of assigned texts. I do appreciate the list though!
Gem
Creative Writing Student

New York top 10

Unread post

I haven't read any of these books either. However I have read a review of the Bolano book which is meant to be very good.

Do people have their own ideas of a top 10 list for 2008?
yoshidami
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have read Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth. Having been a big fan of Indian expat writers (though Lahiri is not really an expet herself), I may be biased toward her. But I think this is a great work. I bought this hardcover because I could not wait its paperback published.

Return to “Everything Else”