• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Anyone here heard of www.anobii.com?*

*rhetorical question

I will start a booktalk.org group. You have to prove to me you are a member of this site to be accepted, using your existing username will help. The group will be called: Booktalk.org Members, you may have to do a search under groups, if you cannot find it my anobii username is Grim. If all else fails search for Bad Money and I should have it on my shelf (the one with the image). I am sure that the booktalk.org owner will be ok with this??

Oh and no need to thank me I do it for the kids.

:book:
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

I'm re-reading the first famous five book so I can read the next 9 in the box set I got the other day which I've never read before.
Books are my life
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I just finished Probable Future by Alice Hoffman which took me my entire two week vacation to finish, so not really a book that you can't put down. I started Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks on the way home and my copy of Bad Money was waiting for me in the mail, so I'll start it soon.
sweisser
Almost Comfortable

Nightstand reading

Unread post

Well, I told my kids I would read Inkheart this weekend since a movie is coming out next week. BUT, I forgot it at work. I might just read it to them this six weeks. I am reading a couple of mysteries (Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula & Back to School Murder) and a Ben Franklin biography. It all depends upon what mood I am in. :hmm:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

The Histories by Herodotus
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I am now reading From The Farm To The Table. It is good so far. The 64 Tomato was a good read
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

That seems like a good book to read. I almost bought it but the price was incredible! The prices of books are really sky rocketing.

I've thought about the garden and I think I should wait until next season to start one. I need to cultivate the soil first and remove some old stumps and other stuff before I put one in.

I know the spot I want the garden to be in - it's the only spot that gets sunlight enough - and unfortunately, it's the only place that has grass in my backyard right now. I wouldn't hesitate to plow the grass under if it wasn't for the fact that it's very high quality. It's so fine - like a putting green. So, I must let this grass grow - transplanting it to other parts of the yard, getting it established... and then once it is - tear up its favorite part of the yard.

I think it might even be two seasons before I get enough grass established to start a garden.

The previous owners had these shrubs all over the backyard that have created such an unbelievable root system that it's taken over half of the yard. I pick and dig and tear out and it never ends. It takes me an entire days worth of work to get out just one and there are so so so so many more to go. I can't run the tiller until I've gotten out all these shrubs. Right now I have blisters on my hands from wielding the pick axe.

I like yard work - but it really is a race against time now to get all these roots pulled out, the shredded debris cultivated in the clay soil, and then fertilizer added for spring. It's almost too much, I think. I don't want it to consume my life - so I'll take it easy and see how much I can get done.
Grindle

Current reading

Unread post

I have jumped all over this year...just finished the last of Philip Craig's Martha's Vineyard Mystery series...light and fun reading. Currently, I'm reading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, and re-reading The Myth of Sanity, by Martha Stout, Ph.D. Also re-read Frances Mayes' The Discovery of Poetry, which I love. Earlier this year I enjoyed River Town, and Oracle Bones, both by Peter Hessler.
I enjoy Science Fiction but not all of it...I think rather something that plays on the edge of fantasy, rather than the idea of giant insects conquering new worlds in outer space. Grindle
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Understanding Media - Marshall McLuhan

Marshall McLuhan is a Canadian philosopher which means that he is of above average intelligence, because he is Canadian. I would recommend this book to anyone, even someone I dislike.

:book:
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I have 3 on the go. All being read for the first time.

- The Post-Birthday World- Lionel Shriver
- Thinner- Stephen King
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- J.K Rowling

Return to “Everything Else”