• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Suggestions Wanted: Feb. & Mar. 2009 Non-Fiction Book

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Farmgirl,

I keep thinking about your quote. Do you know what a 'tea-bag' in today's language is? I'm not going to tell you as I've promised Chris that I would be less explicit.

You can go to www.urbandictionary.com and look it up if you'd like. It really makes your quote come to life!
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Well in terms of say three books I would be interested in I would have to do a preliminary vote for:

:book:

THE UNIVERSITY IN CHAINS by Henry Giroux and The Wealth of Nations, I don't have a third choice yet, the only other was a suggstion of mine as well for AGAINST THE NEW AUTHORITARIANISM also by Henry Giroux but to have two nominations from the same person for the same author may be against the rules.

I feel that my selections will prove to be the most provocative as well a topical and relevant. Hope you all find them to be as such. I would encourage everyone to listen again to CBC's feature the suspect society.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/suspec ... index.html

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

ROFL OMG
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Comacho,
All I can say that I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

The Case Against Homework: How Homework Is Hurting Children and What Parents Can Do About It (Paperback)
by Sara Bennett (Author), Nancy Kalish (Author)

this book will cause some very lively discussion. I would LOVE to discuss this one.
I would have very strong opinions about this subject and would enjoy debating them (I followed some unconventional educational methods with my children), but I am not sure how much interest this would have on here for members without children or members whose children are now adults.

P. Camacho...I am curious, what is a tea-bag in today's language? Somebody fill me in, maybe PS if not fit for general viewing.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

If we want to read about homework why don't we read about Universities rather than childerns schools. I don't even have childern!! Looking up information online made the Homework book seem onesided and even in error. When I was in highschool we didn't have that much homework. The book is obviously for parents who are too busy to pay attention to how their childern are doing.

Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

I maybe slow, but let's stay away from the whole homework issue. I am have graduated from college and don't have any children. Since I have joined I have noticed that some of the non-fiction choices are surrounding religion or very deep subject matter. Maybe I should stay in the fiction arena but some of that stuff goes way over my head. This is why I am always recommending memiors or biographies. Just a thought.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please just go to the Urban Dictionary site and look up the term. President Camacho provided a link.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I would be interested in reading Barack Obama Dreams of my Father, Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, and the Pivot of Civilization by Margaret Sanger. The Brain that Changes Itself also sounds interesting. Sorry Robert, Death From the Skies sounds too scary for me. I have an anxiety disorder anyway, don't want to feed it. :)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You guys know how jumungus wealth of nations is right? It's monstrous! I think maybe I shouldn't have brought it up at all.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”