• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Secret Garden: Chapters 4, 5 and 6

#59: Dec. - Jan. 2009 (Fiction)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Penelope wrote:giselle:

The North Yorkshire moors are very wild and beautiful. Often raining and windy. When the sun does shine, the skylarks sing and it is glorious.

In hot summers we used to slide down the dry grass slopes on tea-trays!
You slid on tea-trays on grass? I love it ... it's just so .. British. We used bits of cardboard on snow or preferably ice. Did you ever get in trouble for wrecking the tea trays? I mean, you must have hit a rock or two? :?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Giselle:

The Couch Grass is very course and dry and very slippery, even to just walk over. So if you could beg an old tea-tray from home, that made an excellent sledge.

Actually, I used to use my blackboard. It was just a thin piece of wood painted black, and didn't take the chalk very well anyway. It became wharped to the shape of my bum through being used to slide down the slopes. Much more fun than being chalked on. :D

Today, because of these posts, I have been remembering when I was about five years old and staying with my Aunt during the summer holidays. She had a small-holding with some hens and three or four cows. I pinched an old umbrella and used it as a sunshade for one of the cows, which was lying down in the field. The cow rolled over and crumpled the umbrella. I put it back from where I'd taken it and Keith, the little boy next to me in age, got the blame for breaking it. No one would suspect little innocent me and I never owned up. :(
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

In college, we would get the serving trays from the cafeteria and use them as sleds in the snow. Every year, the staff would go on expeditions to locate the 20 or more trays that were missing.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

is there heather growing everywhere like in the book? I would love to see pics of that.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Farmgirl - when the summer arrives I will post some pictures of the heather for you.

However, this is what our moors look like this week:-

Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Farmgirl - when the summer arrives I will post some pictures of the heather for you.

However, this is what our moors look like this week:-

that is beautiful. I would love to go to England, I would even consider moving there.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Those pictures make me want to jump inside and walk and walk and walk.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

A land built for walking, that's for sure.

Penelope, re your first picture with your grandson standing on the pathway, I'm curious about the pathway ... is this an ordinary path or a road (hard to tell the scale but looks like a path). And do you know if the stones are 'natural' or have been quarried and split so they are flat?
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Thanks for enriching this discussion with your beautiful photographs and wonderful memories, Penelope. It's so good to have your voice back in the conversations. Thanks also for your perspective that is a little nearer to the world of the book than ours is, not only on this topic of what the natural world is like, but also things like Mary's treatment of her Ayah as a departure from the norm which you found almost as upsetting as her mother's treatment of her. As I was just catching up on this thread I noticed (and I'm sure others already have) a possible Biblical allusory meaning for the choice of the names Mary and Martha for the two girls in the story. What did others think of that?
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

GentleReader9 wrote: I noticed (and I'm sure others already have) a possible Biblical allusory meaning for the choice of the names Mary and Martha for the two girls in the story. What did others think of that?
I think you are very alert. I could use a Mary now as I am now dealing with (I believe) a case of the hysterics:
I don't know and I don't care," said the nurse. "Hysterics and temper are half what ails him."
A hypochondriacal aunt has laid down to die, and I don't see any way to get her up.

Tom

Return to “The Secret Garden - by Frances Hodgson Burnett”