• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Official Poll - Dec. 2008 & Jan. 2009 Fiction Book

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Last call! :bananadance:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I am hoping Ophelia will join in on this one. :hmm: She is the glue that holds the fiction section together. I hope that sounds like a good thing. :cool:
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I'm not sulking or anything :smile: I just have a problem here.
All three books seem to be worthy suggestions, but I take the voting instructions very seriously: voting means I will read the book and do my best to participate. I know that's unlikely with Anna Karenina, as I have already tried to read it and failed.
As for the other two, I've read what I could find on the web, and I just don't know, so I'll buy the selected book if it's one of those, but I'm not voting this time.

P-S: For "Compliment of the day" , "glue" will do... ;-)
Ophelia.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Ophelia wrote:I'm not sulking or anything :smile: I just have a problem here.
All three books seem to be worthy suggestions, but I take the voting instructions very seriously: voting means I will read the book and do my best to participate. I know that's unlikely with Anna Karenina, as I have already tried to read it and failed.
As for the other two, I've read what I could find on the web, and I just don't know, so I'll buy the selected book if it's one of those, but I'm not voting this time.

P-S: For "Compliment of the day" , "glue" will do... ;-)

Ophelia, I think you are the glue of this fiction thread and I for one will "stick" with you.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Giselle, I'm not sure I am following you. What do you mean by you'll stick with Ophelia? Are you taking back your 3 votes for Anna Karenina? If so you really have to be precise in these poll threads. Please don't leave room for guessing. If you take back your 3 votes then that changes the outcome.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I am going to make an executive decision here.

The winning book is being switched from Anna Karenina to The Secret Garden.

Reasons why....

1. I am deleting my 2 votes for Anna Karenina as I typically am not very involved in the actual book discussions. While I read most of the books my administrative duties require most of time to be spent doing other chores.

2. I think Giselle is saying she will stick with Ophelia and probably not read Anna Karenina. This means my 2 votes and Giselle's 3 votes are now deleted. It doesn't leave many votes for Anna Karenina.

3. I didn't realize it when I put Anna Karenina on the poll, but this book is just about 1000 pages long composed of 239 chapters. It is far too long for a BookTalk.org discussion. It should never have made a poll.

4. In the suggestion thread 6 people expressed an interest in The Secret Garden. While not all of them voted this is probably more because this is a holiday season and the poll wasn't up for very long.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”