• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Favourite books in French

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Favourite books in French

Unread post

To the Zola fan who asked the question: my favourite authors in French are Anne Cuneo (from Switzerland) and Jean-Christophe Rufin.
Ophelia.
Indicate
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Joris-Karl Huysmans, A rebours

It's a book that deals with introspective feelings and frustration in the heart and mind of a refined, sophisticated and feeble man concerning the world outside.
In order to deal no longer with society, he isolates himself in his home and tries to buy everything money can provide to heal his senses, thus soul.
The character (Des Esseintes) is living through a spectacular personality and sense of fineness; subtlety that drags along his end.

For me, particularly because it lacks a substantial plot, represents more of a motto, dear philosophy close to my heart.

A rebours is also the book that fascinates the young Dorian Gray to the point of obsession, received as a gift from Lord Henry Wotton.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

I believe that Social Contract was translated from french, I only read the introduction unfortunately.

There is some really good french-Canadian fiction, I have read a small amount of Mordecai Richler's large collection of work.

http://www.nfb.ca/animation/objanim/en/ ... n&id=13316

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”