• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Lolita, part 1, chapters 6-9

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ophelia.
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Do you believe that Humbert used the story of Valeria to show "the jury" that grown women are nothing but heart breaking pains. That is why he prefers nymphets....less hassle.
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I must admit that I did get a laugh out of him trying to mess with the shrinks in the hospital, trying to convince them that he had all sorts of ailmets, albeit with the intention to keep them from finding out his true desires. I also thought this suggested that he's a very manipulative character, and if we are to put him into the category of pedophiles, that is a trait that they are known to possess. I could be reading too much into it but that seemed to stick out to me.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I must admit that I did get a laugh out of him trying to mess with the shrinks in the hospital, trying to convince them that he had all sorts of ailmets, albeit with the intention to keep them from finding out his true desires. I also thought this suggested that he's a very manipulative character, and if we are to put him into the category of pedophiles, that is a trait that they are known to possess. I could be reading too much into it but that seemed to stick out to me.
I had the same feeling about his section. Part of me laughed because I have always been skeptical about psychoanalysis. But for sure it does show a character trait that he possesses, that is is acceptable to manipulate others and use others for your own amusement. He does not have empathy.

This also shows in the fashion which he uses his wife. He does not have feeling for her, which I am sure she felt and contributed to her falling for someone who could love her. Humbert's reaction to her leaving him is a little ridiculous when he cares nothing for her, especially his glee in the fact that she later dies.

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”