• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Suggestions for our Oct. & Nov. non-fiction discussion

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

A new release hitting the shelves Sept. 15th...

The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism (Hardcover)
by Andrew Bacevich

http://www.amazon.com/Limits-Power-End- ... F8&s=books

From Publishers Weekly

In this caustic critique of the growing American penchant for empire and sense of entitlement, Bacevich (The New American Militarism) examines the citizenry's complicity in the current economic, political, and military crisis. A retired army colonel, the author efficiently pillories the recent performance of the armed forces, decrying it as an expression of domestic dysfunction, with leaders and misguided strategies ushering the nation into a global war of no exits and no deadlines. Arguing that the tendency to blame solely the military or the Bush administration is as illogical as blaming Herbert Hoover for the Great Depression, Bacevich demonstrates how the civilian population is ultimately culpable; in citizens' appetite for unfettered access to resources, they have tacitly condoned the change of military service from a civic function into an economic enterprise. Crisp prose, sweeping historical analysis and searing observations on the roots of American decadence elevate this book from mere scolding to an urgent call for rational thinking and measured action, for citizens to wise up and put their house in order.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The Forever War (Hardcover)
by Dexter Filkins

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-War-Dexte ... F8&s=books

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Filkins, a New York Times prize
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time (Paperback)
by Greg Mortenson

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Cups-Tea-Mi ... F8&s=books

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Some failures lead to phenomenal successes, and this American nurse's unsuccessful attempt to climb K2, the world's second tallest mountain, is one of them. Dangerously ill when he finished his climb in 1993, Mortenson was sheltered for seven weeks by the small Pakistani village of Korphe; in return, he promised to build the impoverished town's first school, a project that grew into the Central Asia Institute, which has since constructed more than 50 schools across rural Pakistan and Afghanistan. Coauthor Relin recounts Mortenson's efforts in fascinating detail, presenting compelling portraits of the village elders, con artists, philanthropists, mujahideen, Taliban officials, ambitious school girls and upright Muslims Mortenson met along the way. As the book moves into the post-9/11 world, Mortenson and Relin argue that the United States must fight Islamic extremism in the region through collaborative efforts to alleviate poverty and improve access to education, especially for girls. Captivating and suspenseful, with engrossing accounts of both hostilities and unlikely friendships, this book will win many readers' hearts.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The Post-American World (Hardcover)
by Fareed Zakaria

http://www.amazon.com/Post-American-Wor ... F8&s=books

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. When a book proclaims that it is not about the decline of America but the rise of everyone else, readers might expect another diatribe about our dismal post-9/11 world. They are in for a pleasant surprise as Newsweek editor and popular pundit Zakaria (The Future of Freedom) delivers a stimulating, largely optimistic forecast of where the 21st century is heading. We are living in a peaceful era, he maintains; world violence peaked around 1990 and has plummeted to a record low. Burgeoning prosperity has spread to the developing world, raising standards of living in Brazil, India, China and Indonesia. Twenty years ago China discarded Soviet economics but not its politics, leading to a wildly effective, top-down, scorched-earth boom. Its political antithesis, India, also prospers while remaining a chaotic, inefficient democracy, as Indian elected officials are (generally) loathe to use the brutally efficient tactics that are the staple of Chinese governance. Paradoxically, India's greatest asset is its relative stability in the region; its officials take an unruly population for granted, while dissent produces paranoia in Chinese leaders. Zakaria predicts that despite its record of recent blunders at home and abroad, America will stay strong, buoyed by a stellar educational system and the influx of young immigrants, who give the U.S. a more youthful demographic than Europe and much of Asia whose workers support an increasing population of unproductive elderly. A lucid, thought-provoking appraisal of world affairs, this book will engage readers on both sides of the political spectrum.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

While reading that book, I just came across a quote from Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. That's not too surprising, though I hadn't heard of the book until it was brought up as a book suggestion on this site.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

The book I would like to suggest is The Pagan Christ: Is Blind faith Killing Christianity? by Tom Harpur. Amazon site is
http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Christ-Blin ... 0802777414

This book produces an astounding level of polarisation, with fundamentalists virtually calling for it to be burned, and others suggesting it is highly enlightening, especially about the repressive evil nature of the church. Harpur is described as Canada's leading religious journalist, and was a professor of New Testament in Toronto. Many of his claims are disputable, and have been discussed here at Booktalk, such as his questioning of the gospel account of the historical Jesus as a repackaging of old Egyptian ideas. I think it is interesting as a way to investigate what we mean by faith, and how faith can be resurrected from the lies and fraud of the church.

Harpur also has a related book http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Christ-Reco ... gy_b_img_b which has 59 customer reviews at Amazon.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Scanning the list of books already read, I did not find one on logical reasoning, logical fallacies, or the like. I would be interested in tuning up my own reasoning ability, and also I think that such a book might be of benefit in a place (booktalk) where rationality is so highly esteemed. If anyone knows of a good candidate, please identify it. Here is one I found at random, with an Amazon review:

Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking, by D.Q. McInerny

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081297 ... 0812971159

A beautifully written book. It illustrates well the luminosity and simplicity of the principles of human rationality in both its form (the style is elegantly straightforward) and content (clear, finely argued, principled ideas). Reading this book is like drinking a fine cup of tea.

This book serves as an introductory guide to the principles of reasoning with the purpose of the application of logic to life. Through a brief study of the tenets of logical thinking McInerny elucidates the essence of logic and its concrete expression in argumentation. The final section of the book helpfully covers many of the fallacies of logic with clear examples.

McInerny's prose is itself the strongest case for the validity and exigency of rational thinking and moral rhetoric. Though I do not accept without qualification the core of McInerny's all too modern presuppositions (universality of the laws of reason, correspondence and coherence theories of truth etc.), this book, and what it graciously argues for, is a much needed corrective to the excessive postmodern rejection of rationality as such.

Before you pick up any other book on logic, read this one first. Or, if you want a simple guide to help hone your reasoning skills, this may be the best book out there. It can also serve as a handy reference on your shelf. Once you read it, you may find yourself reading it again. I am.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

If we're going to read a book on clear thinking this one looks more promising for discussion.

Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders (Paperback)

In the daily battle for our hearts and minds--not to mention our hard-earned cash--the truth is usually the first casualty. It's time we learned how to see through the rhetoric, faulty reasoning, and misinformation that we're subjected to from morning to night by talk-radio hosts, op-ed columnists, advertisers, self-help gurus, business "thinkers," and, of course, politicians. And no one is better equipped to show us how than award-winning philosopher Jamie Whyte.

In Crimes Against Logic Whyte take us on a fast-paced, ruthlessly funny romp through the mulligan stew of can, folderol, and bogus logic served up in the media, at the office, and even in your own home. Applying his laserlike wit to dozens of timely examples, Whyte cuts through the haze of facts, figures, and double-talk and gets at the real truth behind what they're telling us.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I really am looking for at least another 5 or 6 people to make posts to this thread We have far too few suggestions and comments. The time is here for picking our next non-fiction book, but the suggestions are sparse and the comments almost nonexistent.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Too true, usually when I promote a book it is all I know on how to comment. Myself and a few others have provided one, two, or even three top selections and most were willing to comment if they disagreed or had better options.

I am open to anything that I have enough time to plan ahead to read/purchase.

I think that the vote should take place on the main page with all recommendations listed as possible options, or have each person who promoted multiple book select only one.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”