• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chapter 11. Higher Laws

#51: July - Aug. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

kinkuls

Unread post

I don't expect you to agree with me but I think my kinkuls explain our reality better than HDT's worms. He bought into the Epicurian (and other belief systems) dichotomy of body bad spirit good.

My reality says it is not good or evil. Our human condition just is and if we recognize it for what it is we can change how we train our Kinkul motels. Are you really glad I'm back? L
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: kinkuls

Unread post

Lawrence wrote:I don't expect you to agree with me but I think my kinkuls explain our reality better than HDT's worms. He bought into the Epicurian (and other belief systems) dichotomy of body bad spirit good.

My reality says it is not good or evil. Our human condition just is and if we recognize it for what it is we can change how we train our Kinkul motels. Are you really glad I'm back? L
Yes, Lawrence. Newton's Third Law: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." No resistance, no traction. Now, whatever makes you think that the ascetic Mr. Thoreau was epicurean?

Tom
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

Irish Stew

Unread post

Well Thomas, I couldn't call HDT one thing or another based on his writing. His writing presents thoughts pretty much like my mother made Irish Stew. She threw anything she had handy into the pot. I know I'm blaspheming your beloved but I like him just as I find him too.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: Irish Stew

Unread post

Lawrence wrote:Well Thomas, I couldn't call HDT one thing or another based on his writing. His writing presents thoughts pretty much like my mother made Irish Stew. She threw anything she had handy into the pot. I know I'm blaspheming your beloved but I like him just as I find him too.
Maybe, Lawrence, if you read a little closer you would suddenly see that the disparate parts unite in a single tasty whole -- like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_psychology
-- nice dog picture

I admire people with the right stuff.

Tom
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: kinkuls

Unread post

Thomas wrote: Now, whatever makes you think that the ascetic Mr. Thoreau was epicurean?
It appears as though Lawrence is referring to Epicurus's preference of intellectual pleasures over sensual ones. My understanding is that our popular notion of epicureanism is not according to what the man taught.
DWill

Return to “Walden - by Henry David Thoreau”