• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is Transcendentalism?

#51: July - Aug. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Tom,
I think you misunderstand me. I am not meaning to suggest that the whole of Kant's philosophy influenced HDT. I believe the influence only to go as far as the one idea that I have referred to in my previous posts. An example: my approach to teaching and in general working with people has been greatly influenced by Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. I have not read the whole book, nor do I need to in order to be deeply effected by the central idea in his book. My ideas are not identical to Freire's, but he is at the root of them. I use this example from my own thinking to explain how I see the relationship between one of Kant's concepts and the ideas of the Transcendentalist and even Thoreau.

Saffron
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Thomas Hood wrote:...Walter Harding describes the alleged Kant connection
Harding wrote: ". . . there was a body of knowledge innate with man and that this knowledge transcended the senses -- thus the name "Transcendentalism." This knowledge was the voice of God within man -- his conscience, his moral sense, his inner light, his over-soul -- and all of these terms and others were used by the various Transcendentalists. But it was central to their belief that the child was born with this innate ability to distinguish between right and wrong. Unfortunately however as he grew older he tended to listen to the world about him rather than the voice within him and his moral sense became calloused. Thus did evil come into the world. And therefore it was the duty, the obligation of the good citizen to return to a childish innocence and heed once more the voice of God within him" (p.62).
Now, to me this looks more like Rousseau than Kant, although my knowledge of Kant doesn't extend much beyond Will Durant. Is there any suggestion in the writings of Thoreau that he embraced congenital infant goodness? Are "We need the tonic of wildness" (17.24) and "In wildness is the salvation of the world" supposed to apply to infants? I think they refer to an openness to mystery in the uniqueness and creative potential of every physical event. Tom
Hi Tom, these ideas show a strong conceptual affinity between Thoreau and Kant, despite their differences. Kant's argument was that the senses alone are not sufficient to provide knowledge, which also requires the ordering faculty of reason, also known as the transcendental imagination. Kant asks where we get our ideas of space and time, and observes that these are not the product of sense perception but of pure reason. He calls them the a priori categories of the understanding, because space and time are not objects that we can observe, but the formal framework into which observation is placed.

This illustrates what a slippery word transcendental is, in that Kant's claim that the ideas of space and time are transcendental is very different from traditional theism.

Your juxtaposition of 'openness to mystery' and 'return to innocence' is interesting in that many would argue they amount to the same thing. Kant's theory of morality, based on doing duty, does seem to have an affinity with Thoreau's ideas in that Kant held that conscience is the source of true duty.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Saffron wrote:Tom,
I think you misunderstand me. I am not meaning to suggest that the whole of Kant's philosophy influenced HDT.
Saffron, my objection to the Kant connection is based on a real consideration. Kant is right about the organizing powers of the mind: We go from the unknown to the known and achieve insight because the mind is active. But Kant misunderstood insight and attributes subtle objective features to the subjective mind (as in the subway example). Insight is similar to extrapolation and interpolation in mathematics. The mind continues and completes a trend already physically present. This is not the imposition of a form ("a transcendental flight of fancy") but a completion of inherent form, like the angel Michelangelo found trapped in a stone. That is, our experience is not an arbitrary imposition of meaning but a development of meaning already present. The clay of experience is as active in creation as is the potter. I hope shortly to give a concrete example of Thoreau's view on the working of the mind.

Tom
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Your juxtaposition of 'openness to mystery' and 'return to innocence' is interesting in that many would argue they amount to the same thing.
Probably many do so argue, Robert, "Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven." To enter the cloud of unknowing -- a return to the aboriginal, uninterpreted raw data of experience -- the adult must struggle against fixed interpretation, the dead hand of convention. ("Convention is death," Thoreau somewhere said.) The difference between infant and adult is that the adult has developed a self that is a framework for reinterpretation.
Kant's argument was that the senses alone are not sufficient to provide knowledge, which also requires the ordering faculty of reason, also known as the transcendental imagination. Kant asks where we get our ideas of space and time, and observes that these are not the product of sense perception but of pure reason. He calls them the a priori categories of the understanding, because space and time are not objects that we can observe, but the formal framework into which observation is placed.

Kant is correct in that no recognition (not just space and time) is given by the senses but requires an activity of mind. And he is also correct that recognition requires "pure reason" but this is reason as used in a peculiar sense by Transcendentalists to mean approximately intentionality. Will intruded into experience because the interpreter contributes to interpretation. Recognition has inherent moral quality because it give expression to the inner self (genius) of the interpreter. Recognition is always recognition as. I find the maxim "Style is character" a more convenient expression of this state of affairs. The way we recognize and express discloses personality.

Kant's idea of space and time as a priori categories is, I think, a mistake. This idea does not accord with modern science, and it differs from Thoreau's in that Thoreau thought in terms of the uniqueness of place and moment:
"Wherever I sat, there I might live, and the landscape radiated from me accordingly"(2.1). Or, "This frame [the partially completed house], so slightly clad, was a sort of crystallization around me, and reacted on the builder" (2.9).
"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains" (2.33).
Are such statements possible for Kant?

Tom
Last edited by Thomas Hood on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Quoting

Unread post

To quote myself:
Tom,
You are quoting yourself...that is very Harold Bloom of you. :D
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: Quoting

Unread post

BabyBlues wrote:
To quote myself:
Tom,
You are quoting yourself...that is very Harold Bloom of you. :D
Alas, Babyblues, Harold was no friend of Thoreau. Let me quote myself again:
Thoreau is the most hated man in America, blamed for the hippies and other excesses of individualism. No literature about Thoreau is to be trusted without inspection, including the biased Wikipedia article.

In the volume of essays about Thoreau that Harold edited, he repeatedly pairs Thoreau with excrement. The details are too disgusting to discuss in a public forum like this, but don't take my word for it. See for yourself. Or check out discussion of Harold Bloom on Waldenlist.

Tom
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Bloomist

Unread post

I am no Bloomist myself, as he tends toward the sweeping generalization, self-importance and a very narrow canon. It makes sense that Bloom might be anti-Thoreau as the latter's conviction for the following of one's own beliefs might keep indivduals from blindly following the "critical genius" of the omniscient Bloom. In the world of literary analysis, he has his name on more things than Trump does in the general business/merchandise realm. What will we see next... Bloom Towers? Bloom Water? Bloom Taj Mahal?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Thomas Hood wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:It is magnificent that the wild frontier was close enough to permit Thoreau to give free rein to his transcendental imagination, . . . .

Please, Robert, Walden was no more wild frontier than the woods in back of my house. Free rein to his transcendental imagination my foot. Walden may be the most heavily and consciously edited book every written -- seven versions, I'm told. Give the guy some credit. Tom
Hi Tom, getting back to this earlier point, I was not saying that Walden was at the frontier, just that it was closer to it than our modern world is. The other side of the frontier is untamed nature, considered in broad mythopoetic terms, and the fact that HDT was able to lob up at such a beautiful place and find solitude shows how much closer the other side was in those days. Modern departure into technological alienation has only accelerated our distance from nature since then. I don't see why you believe transcendental imagination is incompatible with careful editing. Thoreau needs to use words precisely to describe the transcendent.

By the way, the other day I happened to see Southpark on TV. Eric crossed off HDT's name on the cover of a copy of Walden and wrote in his own. None of the judges had heard of Walden, and Eric got first prize for his writing effort.

Robert
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:I was not saying that Walden was at the frontier. . . .

Robert, I'd like to convey how used the Walden area was before Thoreau moved there. The woods there was second growth, all the original trees having been cut. The area was the traditional slum district of Concord and had been inhabited by blacks and alchoholics. The blacks were, I'm told, run out of the area when the white Irish railroad workers built their shanties there along the railroad tracks just at the west end of the pond. Railroad construction had ended and the Irish were moving out when Thoreau moved to Walden. Thoreau's father had already bought two shanties for boards just as Thoreau did with the last remaining Irish shanty. Recycle, reuse, and renewal are optimistic themes in Walden. No matter what you start with, things can be reformed and made better.

My objection to the term transcendental imagination (It's Kant's term, isn't it?) is that Thoreau read no Kant. Further, it suggests "a flight of transcendental fancy," that is, transcendental moonshine, the term used to dismiss the high point of the New England Renaissance. In reality, Thoreau's allusive imagery is based on concrete features of experience and wonderfully gives expression to psychological depth. This more complex used of language, American Transcendentalism, was apparently considered an American literary trade secret and evidence of American literary superiority, and was deliberately never made public. Unfortunately, it produces a prose that can be as inpenetrable as a very dark woods.
By the way, the other day I happened to see Southpark on TV. Eric crossed off HDT's name on the cover of a copy of Walden and wrote in his own. None of the judges had heard of Walden, and Eric got first prize for his writing effort.

This is, I think, a condemnation of the judge's -- and by implication the public's -- ignorance.

Tom
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Tom wrote:
is that Thoreau read no Kant.
Tome,
I am curious as how you know this. Is it a widely known fact? Citations? I'm not not being nit-picky or picking a fight -- I really want to know.

Thanks,
Saffron

Return to “Walden - by Henry David Thoreau”