• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Non-Fiction book suggestions for July & August 2008

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
yodha
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I'm interested in reading Walden too. It is one of those classics which everyone recommends, but I'm afraid I won't enjoy completely unless I read with a group. I guess it's a perfect book for long discussions and philosophy.

If not Walden then The Post-American World looks interesting.
Whit
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Bluegrass Is My Second Language

This is a wonderful non-fiction book by first time author John Santa detailing his journey into the unique people and unbelievable places where this slice of Americana is still played by musicians who tend crops or work in factories during the day and play music at night.

More info can be found at www.bluegrassbook.com
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I heard Stuart Kauffman on NPR and read the intro chapter to his book (Saffron was kind enough to let it go for a while). My impression is different from Lawrence's in that I hear him saying he doesn't believe in God, but he does think there are objective reasons to see meaning and purpose in the biosphere and in human life and economy. We do not have to follow the existentialists in seeing value only in the choices we make. There is an essence that does precede existence. Scientific reductionism leads us to a view of existence as reduced to physics. But Kauffman believes the arrows don't just do down, but up, outward.

Kauffman is now connected with the Unviersity of Calgary and was formerly with the Santa Fe Institute. Here's the brief review from Publisher's Weekly:

Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion Stuart A. Kauffman. Basic, $27 (336p) ISBN 978-0-465-00300-6

Kauffman, a complexity theorist at the University of Calgary, sets a huge task for himself in this provocative but difficult book: to find common ground between religion and science by redefining God as not a "supernatural Creator" but as "the natural creativity in the universe." That creativity, says Kauffman, defies scientific assumptions that the biosphere's evolution and human activity can be reduced to physics and are fully governed by natural laws. Kauffman (At Home in the Universe) espouses emergence, the theory of how complex systems self-organize into entities that are far more than the sum of their parts. To bolster the idea of this "ceaselessly creative" and unpredictable nature, Kauffman draws examples from the biosphere, neurobiology and economics. His definition of God as "the fully natural, awesome, creativity that surrounds us" is unlikely to convince those with a more traditional take on religion. Similarly, Kauffman's detailed discussions of quantum mechanics to explain emergence are apt to lose all but the most technically inclined readers. Nonetheless, Kauffman raises important questions about the self-organizing potential of natural systems that deserve serious consideration. (May)

I think it might be a worthy book. I'm a little concerned that every review I've seen mentions that it gets pretty abstruse. Maybe one of us can read it and then give an opinion. We might need to consider it for a later round.
Another book of his, At Home in the Universe, is said to be a less imposing read.

I also think Walden would be a good choice. It's a favorite of mine, but beyond that I think parts of it would generate good discussion.
DWill[/i]
gskg
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Biomachine wrote:I think Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body would be a great follow up after reading Your Inner Fish.
First post here! (I am usually passive in groups, but this drew me in.)

Sometime back, I was thinking about how similar/different we humans are, to each other. A broader question to me then, was - What can one infer about oneself from others' experiences? How much can one extrapolate? What should one choose and reject?

This looks a good book to start. Any other book suggestions for this topic?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

gskg

Those are all great questions worthy of consideration and discussion. You seem like a great fit for BookTalk.org. I sure hope to see you become actively involved here. :smile:
PatrickSMcNally
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Mary Fulbrook, The People's State: East German Society from Hitler to Honecker

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-State-Ger ... 219&sr=1-2

A very interesting effort to integrate the better known facts about the GDR as a police state with the more hum-drum patterns of daily life.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I vote for Walden as it is readily accessible on line, I have not read it and I like the comparison between Thoreau, Yeats, Jung and Heidegger as solitary thinkers who were in touch with nature. Walden is available at http://thoreau.eserver.org/walden00.html
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I think we ought to just go with Walden. So many of you want to read and discuss this book that it might be best to just announce Walden as the next non-fiction book and save going through the poll process. This thread has been up for weeks and there have not been many suggestions. There has been even less feedback on other peoples suggestions OTHER than Walden. That book seems to be a good pick.

Would you all be comfy with going with Walden?
yodha
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Would you all be comfy with going with Walden?
Aye, aye! :smile:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Walden it is. I'll add the book image up at the top of the forums Sunday.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”