• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Penelope, DWill and Robert Tulip about religious belief.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Will
Frank, despite the conservative influence that religion can exert on social policy, I think that also there are many more people in the category indicated by Samson than you seem willing to concede. Even those who might say they fervently believe in their theology are not necessarily dogmatic, in my view, if they observe the proper boundaries--as most do. That is, they do not approach me as a person who needs to get with the beliefs they hold.

I admit that those people do exist but they are completely overshadowed by their more aggressive counterparts, who by the way also claim to speak for them.

Since the more moderate religious folk do not stand up and say "hey those wackos don't speak for us" I must do what my government does and assume that they agree with the more vocal minority.

In addition because most Christians trust Christian organizations many of the moderate Christians you speak of are funding the fundamentalist cause, sometimes willingly, sometimes through ignorance. (Another form of manipulation)
Will
That these beliefs might be labeled as irrational would be a weak and even narrow-minded reason for attacking them.

Religious belief, as I see it deserves no special pass when looked at for its reasonability. I would criticize a person's belief who insisted that zombie cockroaches were living in their head slowly eating their brains the same way. The stories of Christianity are equally absurd.

Besides, my position is not an attack, it is defensive. In order to assure that the fundamentalist cause does not invade my personal rights I must speak out against it, and when fighting I always go for the weak points.

And yes it is the atheist and other less represented religions that must fight this battle because the other Christians that you claim do respect our boundaries won't raise a finger to stop their vile cousins which in effect empowers their movement.
Will
Again, the view of religion as monolithic, and with it that any hint of a religious sentiment is a problem by definition, just isn't truly reasonable in itself, is it? Not that I can see.

If by this you mean that believers who don't hold their beliefs as strongly as others are more tolerant I agree. Of course this only lends support to my theory less dogma and religious zeal equals less bigotry and the acceptance of alternate viewpoints.
Will
Looks like my break was a short one! By the way, I had also wondered what you were holding in your photo and am glad to have the mystery resolved.

Welcome back!

Later
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Oh, as far as the koala picture... go to the contact page (upper right corner of the page) and look under Frank Morris... there you will find a large picture of the koala and me.

Later
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote: If by this you mean that believers who don't hold their beliefs as strongly as others are more tolerant I agree. Of course this only lends support to my theory less dogma and religious zeal equals less bigotry and the acceptance of alternate viewpoints.

Well, yeah, I'd strongly agree that zealotry is offensive, simply bad behavior, if by zealotry we mean the tendency to want to remake the world in the image of our religion. I wouldn't call all deep belief zealotry, though, because many people manage to hold beliefs that are meaningful to them while avoiding condemning others for what they do or don't believe. As for the word dogma, it has a very negative connotation but should be used in the right situation and not just labeling any belief whatsoever.

I wonder, Frank, if there is a magnitude-of-threat element involved in our separate attitudes on this matter. I don't have the sense of a clear and present danger that you seem to have, even though I live in a conservative area and have been concerned enough about religion insinuating itself into government to write several times to the newspaper stating that we are not a Christian nation.

Historically, religion and secularism have always been at odds in the country. We have a godless constitution, yet the highest rate of chuurchgoing of any advanced nation. Go figure. The conflict is part of our brand of pluralism, and we've managed, though just barely at times, to all live with each other.

There is also the matter of the positive good done by churches in the country that I think has to be recognized. True, just by virtue of their being religious organizations, they don't perform any service that a secular body cant' perform, but the fact remains that their impact is huge due to its volume. This is why I've said we would be worse off if the church doors were locked.

Quote:
"Religious belief, as I see it deserves no special pass when looked at for its reasonability. I would criticize a person's belief who insisted that zombie cockroaches were living in their head slowly eating their brains the same way. The stories of Christianity are equally absurd."

The examples are not parallel for several reasons, but in any case you'd probably want to get your psychotic person some help rather than criticizing him or her. The Christian believer doesn't need mental health treament (though you may not agree!), but the beliefs, within certain common-sense limits, are really his right to hold without molestation. The believers themselves do not always play by these rules (regarding nonbelievers), very true, but I'm not sure that justifies tit-for-tat.

Finally, in case I'm mischaracterizing any part of your view, perhaps you have positive things to say about religion in general or Christianity in particular, but I've not seen them. Thanks.
Will
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Will
Well, yeah, I'd strongly agree that zealotry is offensive, simply bad behavior, if by zealotry we mean the tendency to want to remake the world in the image of our religion.

That is pretty much what I mean when I say zealotry.
Will
I wouldn't call all deep belief zealotry, though, because many people manage to hold beliefs that are meaningful to them while avoiding condemning others for what they do or don't believe.

Neither would I, for instance... you will not see me criticize Buddhism because those believers do not attack my lifestyle, or vandalize my car, or claim that I am un-American and damned because I do not follow their beliefs. In the case of Christians however I do not grant this pass... they have done this to me and continue to invade my life on a regular basis.
Will
As for the word dogma, it has a very negative connotation but should be used in the right situation and not just labeling any belief whatsoever.

By dogma I mean the slew of rules that accompany religion, not the belief itself. But you rarely see belief without the dogma.
Christ functions, in an unnoticed and equivocal way, as shorthand for a vast system of beliefs and institutions on whose behalf he is invoked. Put simply, this means that when an evangelist or an apologist invites you to have faith "in Christ," they are in fact smuggling in a great number of other issues. For example, Chalcedonian Christology, the doctrine of the Trinity, the Protestant idea of faith and grace, a particular theory of biblical inspiration and literalism, habits of church attendance, etc. These are all distinct and open questions. Theologians have debated them for many centuries and still debate them. Rank and file believers still debate them, as you know if you have ever spent time talking with one of Jehovah's Witnesses or a Seventh Day Adventist. If you hear me say that and your first thought is "Oh no, those folks aren't real Christians," you're just proving my point! Who gave Protestant fundamentalists the copyright on the word Christian?

No evangelist ever invites people to accept Christ by faith and then to start examining all these other associated issues for themselves. Not one! The Trinity, biblical inerrancy, for some even anti-Darwinism, are non-negotiable. You cannot be genuinely saved if you don't tow the party line on these points. Thus, for them, "to accept Christ" means "to accept Trinitarianism, biblicism, creationism, etc." And this in turn means that "Christ" is shorthand for this whole raft of doctrines and opinions, all of which one is to accept "by faith," on someone else's say-so.

Robert M. Price

Will
I wonder, Frank, if there is a magnitude-of-threat element involved in our separate attitudes on this matter. I don't have the sense of a clear and present danger that you seem to have, even though I live in a conservative area and have been concerned enough about religion insinuating itself into government to write several times to the newspaper stating that we are not a Christian nation.

As a life long atheist I have seen and continue to see the uglier side of religion, and it is not limited to just the fanatics, people who are normally very respectful and nice often turn nasty and judgmental very quickly when the term atheist is brought up.

Food for thought...

Why do you think that the vast majority of Christians believe that this country was founded as a Christian nation?

It is certainly not from reading up on the history of the subject.

Is it possible that the church has put forth this idea and is encouraging its acceptance?

Does this not seem like a dangerous manipulation and a reach for political power to you?
Will
There is also the matter of the positive good done by churches in the country that I think has to be recognized. True, just by virtue of their being religious organizations, they don't perform any service that a secular body can't' perform, but the fact remains that their impact is huge due to its volume. This is why I've said we would be worse off if the church doors were locked.

I think that if you looked back through history the conflict that religion has caused greatly outweighs the good, furthermore even if religion is doing more good than bad right now (and I don't see that it is) there is nothing stopping it from causing more horrendous atrocities in the future. All religion needs is the power, something it is striving to attain even as we speak.
Will
The examples are not parallel for several reasons, but in any case you'd probably want to get your psychotic person some help rather than criticizing him or her. The Christian believer doesn't need mental health treatment (though you may not agree!),

The belief that a virgin gave birth to the son of a god, who was crucified and returned from the dead, who now speaks to them through prayer and miracles is in no way less of a delusion then the brain eating zombie cockroaches.
Will
but the beliefs, within certain common-sense limits, are really his right to hold without molestation.

Not exactly, it is their right to believe if they want, but I have the right to speak out about the belief's absurdity if I choose to, if the truth hurts thats to darn bad. I had to accept the fact that Santa Clause was not real, I got over it.
Will
The believers themselves do not always play by these rules (regarding nonbelievers), very true, but I'm not sure that justifies tit-for-tat.

Tit-for-tat is not the reason for my exchange, just as a person has the right to believe whatever they want I also have the right to point out how silly it is, especially when the person insists that I follow along with their delusion.
Will
Finally, in case I'm mischaracterizing any part of your view, perhaps you have positive things to say about religion in general or Christianity in particular, but I've not seen them. Thanks.

There are some things that religion has a good handle on, such as a sense of community and mutual support. The problem is that those advantages are only open to people of specific beliefs. Any person speaking contrary to those beliefs in a church or religious setting will soon find themselves back out on the street shunned by the community and devoid of their support.

If you could harness that sense of community without the associated dogma you would have something worth bragging about.

Later
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I would say that the first religion in the US & Canada was what the native practiced. I don't know what they actually called it, if they gave it any name at all.

Wicca, the pagan faith, is the very same as what the early natives practiced.

As for Christianity being the first religion (besides what the natives had), what would it have been - Roman Catholic? Anglican?

That would be the Quakers, I guess - they aren't Catholics or Anglicans.

I never thought of this before - it's a good point.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

The Pilgrim Fathers were the ones who took the faith to America weren't they? They were Puritans....more or less thrown out of England for not conforming to the Roman Catholic faith, which was the one the monarch followed at the time.

The Cathars were mercilessly wiped out in France....by the Roman Catholic church. In England, we had a session when Elizabeth I was on the throne, of the Protestants eliminating the Catholics......because the monarch was then Protestant, being the daughter of Henry VIII who made himself head of the Church of England, instead of the Pope, because he wanted a divorce and to marry Ann Boleyn and the Pope would not agree to that.

How ludicrous it all sounds. You couldn't make it up could you? Well, not into a 'believable' novel.

Poor old Prince Charles in England now is worried about becoming King and says he doesn't want to be named 'Defender of the Faith' but 'Defender of the Faiths'. Because we are a multi-faith nation with Muslims, Hindus, Sheiks, Rastas and etc...etc..... Prince Charles has opened up a real can of worms!!

When the rest of the nation follows what the Monarch and the aristocracy believes, it is called Hegemony.....I think.

Hmmmm.....I don't know about forming a sense of Community this way....I think it is probably better for we who are religiously inclined to become hermits......and not say nuffink to nobody...... :lol:
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Carley said:
I believe in God - I don't believe in 'religion'.
I absolutely agree with you Carley and I can add.....

I love Churches and Cathedrals - when they are empty. :D
Speaking of churches and cathedrals . . . I'm in the midst of reading 'The Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett for another online book club - what a book!

If anything, the reader sure does learn about how to build churches and cathedrals!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Frank,
Was that Robert Price quote from The Reason-Driven Life? I thought he did a wickedly good job in that of skewering Pastor Warren (but also now and then gave him a pat on the back). Another good post from you. As you have already seen, I am basically friendly toward religion of many, but not all, stripes. (Is that an essential difference between a non-theist and an atheist?) That may seem strange coming from a non-believer and non-theist, but I think not really. As a humanist, I don't look for the kind of answers religion has tried to provide, but also as a humanist, I cannot sweep it all into the trash bin, because for me it represents a profound human creation that has been the inspiration for so much art, music, and literature. We sometimes speak of Christianity, in particular, conspiratorily as if it all was foisted upon unsuspecting people by a cabal of church fathers, but of course that is a disorted view that can't account for the significance it may have for any individual.

I also believe that we are unquestionably in the debt of Christianity, culturally, intellectually, and perhaps spiritually, even if we think we have nothing to do with its beliefs or traditions.

By now, I am repeating myself.
Will
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dang, I thought of another question I wanted to ask you, Frank. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned atheism and other religions. Do you consider atheism to be a religion? I ask because on the Rationally Speaking forum, Pigliucci, an atheist, goes to considerable lengths to refute the writer of an article on atheism as a "stealth religion." Is there any consensus on this as far as you know?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Will
Was that Robert Price quote from The Reason-Driven Life?

That quote is from a debate between Dr. Robert Price and Rev. John Rankin, titled "Jesus: Fact or Fiction", the quote is from Price's opening statement
Will
As you have already seen, I am basically friendly toward religion of many, but not all, stripes. Is that an essential difference between a non-theist and an atheist?

Not from my experience... I have seen atheists that are very friendly towards organized religion and believers that are very hostile towards organized religion.

I always thought that non-theist was basically just an atheist that was attempting to avoid the label that comes with the term.
Will
As a humanist, I don't look for the kind of answers religion has tried to provide, but also as a humanist, I cannot sweep it all into the trash bin, because for me it represents a profound human creation that has been the inspiration for so much art, music, and literature.
True but that is all in the past and it came with the wars, inquisitions, witch hunts and religious embattling that caused untold suffering to so many.

In today's society where the world seems so small and other ideas and beliefs are so prominent the dogma and elitism that religions breed are even more outdated and troublesome to those who do not share the same views.

Modern religions are counter productive to tolerance in today's society and dangerous to our future as a species.
Will
We sometimes speak of Christianity, in particular, conspiratorially as if it all was foisted upon unsuspecting people by a cabal of church fathers, but of course that is a distorted view that can't account for the significance it may have for any individual.
Belief and spirituality were alive and well long before Christianity, and in those older pagan religions there was no sense of exclusiveness or demand that there was only one true god.

The downfall of Christianity would not be the end of spirituality but it would be a positive notch for tolerance. Christianity and of course Islam both preach dogma that is exclusive, judgmental, and requires that the followers convert others in the belief that they hold the only truth of salvation.

It is no coincidence that the more followers a religion has, the more power and income it enjoys.
Will
I also believe that we are unquestionably in the debt of Christianity, culturally, intellectually, and perhaps spiritually, even if we think we have nothing to do with its beliefs or traditions.
I will agree that Christianity has helped shape our culture, but not always in a good way, the subjugation of woman as a lesser class, its justification of slavery... etc.

Intellectually, Christianity has been a tremendous roadblock to forward thinking; it has been responsible for holding back the sciences and still is to this day. Christianity, during the dark ages coveted knowledge; and it has been said that without Christianity's total control over that information and its habit of teaching dogma above factual knowledge, that mankind may have been traveling to the moon in Columbus' time.

As far as spiritually... I do not see anything specifically spiritual about the insistence that a bunch of fairy tales actually happened.

Prayer which I can see as spiritual (much like meditation) can be accomplished without Christianity and was around long before Christianity ever entered the scene.
Will
Dang, I thought of another question I wanted to ask you, Frank. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned atheism and other religions. Do you consider atheism to be a religion? I ask because on the Rationally Speaking forum, Pigliucci, an atheist, goes to considerable lengths to refute the writer of an article on atheism as a "stealth religion." Is there any consensus on this as far as you know?
The only consensus that I am aware of is that the lack of belief does NOT constitute a religion.

I do not remember writing that particular statement but if I did it was most likely a remark about how many religious people make the mistaken remark that a outspoken atheist is the equivalent of a religious apologist.

In short atheism does not conform to any of the definitions of religion.

Later

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”