• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

VII- HD: colonialism at work.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hi Penelope,

Sometimes I type too quickly, my posting above was full of mistakes; the poll was "Muslim first" of course, not "Asian".
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Well of course they would say Muslim first.....that is the dogma of their faith.....

But Muslims, like Christians - have different factions and points of view within their own faiths- one Christian point of view can be diametrically opposite to anothers in many cases, and the same goes for Islam, take Salman Rushdie as an instance.

It is just the fundamentalism that is impossible to take.....I can't stand fundamentalism in any shape or form.....Religious or Political......with the 'certainty' comes the 'inquisition' in my experience.

I'm all for a bit of woolley-minded liberal thinking.....
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

cartoons

Unread post

A blogger at Le Monde newspaper has published some interesting cartoons about the colonial past of four European countries: take your pick!

http://jcdurbant.blog.lemonde.fr/2006/0 ... ier_lhist/
Ophelia.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Penelope,
Yes, it does seem to be true that certainty and conviction in matters of religion turn out to be destructive in one way or another. I wonder why this is, because certainty & conviction seem to be good things when not coupled with religion. I'm all for watered-down faith, too, if faith must exist. But that is anathema to believers, of course.
Will
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill - The fundamentalist/evangelical faiths insist on absolute conviction.

Fortunately, you can attend the Church of England if you don't believe in God at all. No one will challenge you, but you have to stand up and say the creed......which feels dreadful, if like me, you absolutely believe in God, but don't believe the dogma, or what I call the bllsht.

Still, I am sure it is what we 'do'.....not what we 'say' that counts.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:Penelope, Yes, it does seem to be true that certainty and conviction in matters of religion turn out to be destructive in one way or another. I wonder why this is, because certainty & conviction seem to be good things when not coupled with religion. I'm all for watered-down faith, too, if faith must exist. But that is anathema to believers, of course. Will
What a conundrum this is. The problem, as I see it, is that many faithful people are dogmatic about things that are simply false, such as the virgin birth. When our system is built upon a lie, it is rather like the statue described by Daniel with feet of clay. This is destructive. However, it should be possible to begin with scientifically verified statements and work from there to assess what religious claims are compatible. My belief system, which I know seems far-fetched, seeks to apply this approach. I think Will is correct that fervour about falsity is destructive
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Penelope, DWill and Robert Tulip about religious belief

Unread post

Please continue the very interesting discussion you started about religious belief on this thread, using the following link :)

http://www.booktalk.org/post30989.html#30989

(HD thread)
Last edited by Ophelia on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ophelia.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Sorry Ophelia, it is too easy to veer away from the subject at hand. I would rather if possible try to relate comments on religion to HD. Looking back over this thread, it seems the fact that the humanity of the Africans had an almost revelatory quality to Marlow inspired the comparison with religion. Falsity can be a powerful inspiration, as without a set of false convictions (Yeats' 'passionate intensity') the whole colonial enterprise would have foundered in uncertainty. Racism was an essential motivating rationale. Without the underlying fundamentalist beliefs in European superiority and divine right of conquest (Honi Soit) it would have been hard to ignore the clinking of the chains. For those raised with an assumption of cultural relativism an absolutist outlook seems utterly evil, whereas the absolutist sees the relativist as insipid and incapable of action.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

OK Robert, I'll leave the thread for religious belief in HD then, having two at this stage would be confusing.

So the link is:http://www.booktalk.org/post30989.html#30989
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Sorry Ophelia

We shall try to keep to the topic.

:rant:

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”