• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official Poll

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Dec. & Jan. FICTION Official Poll

Unread post

I've tried to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" one three separate occasions, and stopped around the same point each time. But that book is also about 6 times as long as "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" (so, incidentally, is "The March", which is my big reservation about making that our first book selection). And I've read other short works by Marquez and can attest to their quality and readability. "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is just one of those exceptions in his bibliography -- not an especially difficult work, but so episodic that it can be difficult to maintain the larger narrative thread.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

When we have dozens of members participating in each book discussion this process will become much simpler. This poll is a tricky one. We have many options on how to handle things.The March1. Chris O'Connor2. pctacitus3. LanDroid4. AnnetteMelancholy Whores1. MadArchitect2. Raven of Missouri3, Jeremy1956If we eliminate two votes (mine and Annette's) we are left with...The March1. pctacitus2. LanDroidMelancholy Whores1. MadArchitect2. Raven of Missouri3, Jeremy1956But then "MonsterDick" wants to read The March, which would again tie the poll. This is frustrating. Sometimes it is so hard to make the best decision to make as many people happy as possible.How about we allow the rest of the day for all of us to discuss the situation in more depth. My opinion is that I would like to read whatever book is going to appeal to the most people. I'd like to have our first fiction book discussion a good one.Does anyone want to change their vote? Does anyone else want to vote that has yet to cast a vote? If you do add your vote please plan on participating. Does anyone have any comments on a fair resolution?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Something to think about is the basic fact that we now have 5 people that have indicated an interest in reading The March and only 3 in My Melanchol Whores. True, we are talking about discarding two votes, but we cannot completely ignore that those two people will probably read and discuss The March. And then MonsterDick has added his vote.The funny thing is I have a copy of Melancholy Whores sitting next to me. I was watching it win in the poll, even though I didn't vote for it, and so I had my father pick up a copy of the book for me while he was at a Border's book store.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

You should stick to the ten post rule. Eliminate Annette's vote. That will break the tie now that Monsterdick voted. If others vote and you have a tie again, I say to read/discuss The March now and My Melancholy Whores automatically gets on the poll next time. I said The March now becuase it is 1st alphabetically(March is before My). This could be a rule permanently added so that we don't have to go through this again, should a tie happen. Rule: In the event of a tie, the book title that is first, alphabetically, will be the book we read now. The other book will automatically be put on the poll for our next vote.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Another suggestion is for the book selection committee to make the final call in the event of a tie.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

TaraThanks for the excellent suggestions. The Book Selection Committee will break all ties from now on, as opposed to selecting a winner alphabetically. The book that doesn't win may be placed on the next poll if there is enough of an interest by the active members at the time of the next polling.I'm not going to delete my vote as that just doesn't make sense and I don't want to create the impression that my vote will no longer count. If I don't count it on this poll people will be wondering why it counts on future polls.Poll ResultsThe March1. Chris O'Connor2. pctacitus3. LanDroid4. MonsterDickMelancholy Whores1. MadArchitect2. Raven of Missouri3. Jeremy1956I'm really hoping that MadArchitect, Raven of Missouri, and Jeremy1956 will get a copy of The March and participate.So The March wins 4 to 3 and will be our first fiction selection. Looks like a damn good book too.Even though we aren't counting Annette's vote this was her choice anyway. So I'm hoping she will be an active participant. I will be creating the forum immediately. There is no reason to wait till December. Please order your book thru the link I will be creating. Chris

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”