• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

IX- Women in HD.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: hi penelope

Unread post

George Ricker wrote:Conrad seems most interested in telling tales of men and ships.
I don't agree
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I do see what you mean, but do you remember the two women at the very beginning of book. At the offices where he went to be designated his ship? One was knitting if I remember correctly.

What were they about? Can anyone enlighten me? I feel as though I missed something there.......
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I do see what you mean, but do you remember the two women at the very beginning of book. At the offices where he went to be designated his ship? One was knitting if I remember correctly. What were they about? Can anyone enlighten me? I feel as though I missed something there.......
Hi again Penelope, these two women and the secretary (pp15-16) remind me of the Greek Fates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirae describes the three Moirae: Clotho spun the thread of life from her distaff onto her spindle; Lachesis measured the thread of life with her rod; Atropos was the cutter of the thread of life. "The compassionate secretary, who, full of desolation and sympathy, made me sign some document" while "in the outer room the two women knitted black wool feverishly." Marlowe says "She seemed to know all about them and about me too. An eerie feeling came over me. She seemed uncanny and fateful. ... Morituri te salutant." This last is the motto of gladiators before Caesar. The cheery and foolish faces off to the Congo are compared to modern gladiators. The Fates measure their thread, and cut off the life with a contract.
It also had me thinking of Perseus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseus#Ov ... the_Gorgon explains how he went to the Graea, sisters of the Gorgons, to find the way. The Perseus archetype has been a basis for major stories, notably Peter Pan and The Matrix, and it is interesting to compare Kurtz with Medusa.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Please miss, Robert said:-

Moirae: Clotho spun the thread of life from her distaff onto her spindle; Lachesis measured the thread of life with her rod; Atropos was the cutter of the thread of life.

Ooooh Thank you Robert - for that explanation. How fabulous!!! I am going back to read it all again.

I am so glad you are joining in this discussion.....don't go away will you!!
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I agree Penelope, very interesting input from Robert!
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dear Robert (and Ophelia)

Robert, I hope you have seen the film from the play by Willie Russell - 'Educating Rita'.

I feel as though that is you and me in reverse....so to speak.

Being half-educated...I have missed out on the Greek Classics....

There is so much of value to know about them. But I can't just look it up on the internet....I need a tutor....help me..please.

All I can offer you (and Ophelia) in return, is my gratitude.

and honesty...I have a quaint Lancashire accent....and a desire for enlightenment.

Joke alert!!!! The difference between 'Wisdom' and 'Knowledge' - Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad. :)
ginof
Sophomore

'oppression'

Unread post

Calling European women of the nineteenth century "oppressed" ignores the extent to which they were beneficiaries of imperial exploitation
Robert, i'd have to agree that my use of the word oppressed is out of sorts here. but you did capture the idea of what i meant. Given that our communication method is single mode (i.e. written) I'm going to have to choose my words more carefully. Perhaps I shouldn't write when I'm in a hurry!

:oops:
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Dear Robert (and Ophelia)

Robert, I hope you have seen the film from the play by Willie Russell - 'Educating Rita'.

I feel as though that is you and me in reverse....so to speak.

Being half-educated...I have missed out on the Greek Classics....

There is so much of value to know about them. But I can't just look it up on the internet....I need a tutor....help me..please.

All I can offer you (and Ophelia) in return, is my gratitude

Penelope,

I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the Classics in Greek or in Latin!
:)
(OK, I remember that we read extracts from The Iliad and The Odyssey in class when I was 12, but that's it.)
It's a funny thing, because as far as studying literature in English I find this has been far less of an obstacle than lack of knowledge of the Bible.
So of course I greatly admire those who do know about these subjects.

I have seen "Educating Rita" though.
It was fun, and well-made.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, Ophelia - The Bible is not just a book and I think it definitely adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

It is a collection of books - and the binding together of which seems to have been somewhat arbitrary.....in view of all the conflict it has caused.

However, I have studied the Bible over many years......albeit in my own individual way. I do know quite a lot of what it says. Although I can't quote Chapter and verse. So when I know of a verse or two - I have to go and consult my old copy of 'Cruden's Concordence' - to find where it states certain thoughts. However over the years I have memorised lots of verses.....especially from the New Testament. The King James Version is in Elizabethan English and so is like poetry and so, is easier to memorise. It does help to know what it says.....if you are trying to have a discussion with a fundamentalist Christian. Wonderfully, it also helps if you are having a conversation with a Christian who speaks a different language because if they know their Bible, you can just say - e.g. John Chpter 1 -Verse 1. And they can go and look it up in their own language - that is pretty remarkable isn't it?

But it is more than that....the words, the ideas and the philosophy latch themselves into your mind.....and that can be very helpful, I have found in solving many of life's problems. Because basically, that is what the Bible is for me......people facing conflict.....and finding solace in the fact that others have been there many years before them.

Some people, in this day and age....in their fear.....treat the Bible as though it is God. It is not God....it is just a collection of books.

I also read the Upanishads (Hindu) - but they are not so widely known. Nor are they so useful in comunicating with people who speak a different language because they don't number the verses and chapters.

It is a good, though disturbing, read.....and many parts are very, very, very, boring....

Love Px
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: hi penelope

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
George Ricker wrote:Conrad seems most interested in telling tales of men and ships.
I don't agree
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”