• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The last Indie film you've seen/or just your favorite...

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

The last Indie film you've seen/or just your favorite...

Unread post

I am a sucker for indie films.

I just finished watching Everything is Illuminated. I would have to rank this film in my top 3. I was a little surprised with this film, it was not what I thought it was going to be. I have a few questions for anyone out there who has seen it :D

Some of my other favorites are Garden State and Amelie (if you can count that).

I'm interested in other peoples favorites...
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Hi Audrey,

I enjoyed Garden State as well. My faves are Little Miss Sunshine, The Straight Story and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Constance - I promised to donate you a plus Karma point - so I have. I can't join in this conversation because I don't get much opportunity to see indie films. I have only just learned that indie music means independent, and not Indian.......but I love Audrey and I am glad you can associate with her .......

Having said that - my OH and I do borrow 'foreign' DVD's and videos and like to watch them - but we seem to concentrate on French Noir movies, although the last one we were most impressed with was Korean (I think) and called ' Eat Drink Man Woman'.
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Penelope-
That makes me so sad that you haven't enjoyed these films yet. They are really worth your time. I'm sorry I didn't explain indie ;)

Constance-
Wow. You mentioned two of my other favorites, "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Both are just great films. "The Straight Story", who stars in that one?
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Constance - I promised to donate you a plus Karma point - so I have.
Thanks! Right back at you! :D
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Audrey wrote:

Constance-
Wow. You mentioned two of my other favorites, "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Both are just great films. "The Straight Story", who stars in that one?
Great movies, aren't they? No matter how many times I watch Eternal Sunshine I am mesmerized every time.

The Straight Story stars Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek. It is the true story of an elderly man who hasn't spoken to his brother for 20 years or so and finds out his brother is now dying. He cannot drive anymore and his daughter - Spacek - has some mental illness and can't drive either so he drives hundreds of miles on his lawnmower to see his brother.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, they are wonderful films. I was a little flustered at first with Eternal Sunshine just because there is so much going on, but it's soo worth it.

That movie sounds just wonderful. I'm going to have to go find it this weekend.

I love indie films, they are crazy and out there, just like me :roll:
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

It's a really well-done film and even better because it is based on a true story. The movie is basically about his journey and the people he meets along the way. And I just love Richard Farnsworth - such a great actor and such a loss now that he is gone.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Now you mention the lawn mower journey, Constance, I remember my son enthusing about this film and telling his Dad and me we ought to see it. I think I will look it out now.

I definitely would like to see 'Little Miss Sunshine' as it has been cropping up a lot in the media lately.

I think my favourite film of all time is the Woody Allen film 'The Sleeper'.

Shallow - that's how to describe me. :oops:
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Hi Penelope,

I would recommend it. I really enjoyed it, although it is a slow moving film (no pun intended since he is on a lawnmower :lol: ) so if you enjoy tons of action, it may not be for you.

I really love Little Miss Sunshine. I've probably watched it 20 times since I got it on DVD for my birthday.

Another indie that I am on the fence about is Being John Malkovitch. I really loved the premise and the fact that when people got done in John Malkovitch's head, they were dumped at the side of the Jersey turnpike just cracked me up. But the movie itself was really weird and the puppets kind of freaked me out :shock:
My wedding day! 08-08-08

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”