• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
WildCityWoman
Genius

What Books Do You Dislike?

Unread post

That's always interesting to hear - what people DON'T like.

For instance, I, unlike many readers, do NOT like the book 'Catcher in the Rye'. Yet, it's an all time favourite with others.

I also didn't like Lord of the Flies - the only reason I suffered through it was because it was a mandatory read when I did comp/lit gr. 10 to 11 at Burnhamthorpe Collegiate here in Toronto.

Those two books I can live without, thanks.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

The Xtian Bible. I just dont get it...

Atlas Shrugged. Characters are so shallow and thin and so is the 'plot'.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
FannieB
Getting Comfortable

don't make me read...

Unread post

Stephen King - I tried to read "It" when it came out and it just went on and on with too much detail about nothing. ick. Although I did read one of his latest, Cell, as a quick fluff read. Not my usual genre or storyline but fun for what it was. I've also gotten two copies of Liseys Story and can't get into it...again with the rambling detail...

I wish I could appreciate what others do about King.
"I cannot live without books." ---Thomas Jefferson
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

FannyB,

I also couldn't get into Stephen King's novels when I tried.

I think many young people are interested in him, and at a guess I'd say he has more staunch supporters among men than women...
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrania - it was supposed to be funny!!!

It was like an itch I couldn't reach to scratch!!
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

I love Stephen King but I think he's an acquired taste. The first book of his that I read was the Eyes of the Dragon when I was 11. I got into his books at a young age so maybe that's why I still like his work. I am currently reading Lisey's Story and the rambling is pretty bad, I admit. But I'm used to his style.

One book I couldn't get into was the Russian Debutante's Handbook. It got decent reviews so I decided to try it and I couldn't get past page 100. It's one of very few books that I never finished.
Last edited by Constance963 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I know this may be a sin...

Jane Eyre By Charlotte Bront
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Audrey - I would once have said it is because you are American that you couldn't get Jane Eyre. But my daughter who was born and bred here, quite close to the Yorkshire Moors, also hated her.

You could try - The Wild Sargasso Sea - by Jean Rees. That is about Mrs. Rochester - the mad woman in the tower (as we get older, we all relate to her - believe me). It is a very good read anyway. :)

Constance: You are obviously much younger than I. When I was 12-13, I used to read Dennis Wheatley....and I still like his books. They scared me stiff...but he has gone out of fashion. He has had a tremendous effect on my psyche. Like Stephen King - his characters get under your skin, but without the bad language. I love Stephen King - his books frighten me to death - but the trouble is with such awful bad language, it gets into your vocabulary - and I wouldn't want people to hear the 'words' I was thinking!!! So I stopped reading him in case the words slipped out and shocked my family!!! :lol:
evendeathmaydie
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I know what you mean about the language getting into your mind. Tom Clancy books do that to me. Is it really necessary to drop the f-bomb every two paragraphs? I also don't really like Steven King, but that might be because practically nothing scares me, and he tries to hard to be scary.

I could probably be burned at the stake for this, but I've never been able to read more than a half page of any Charles Dickens work, except a children's illustrated version of David Copperfield, which took me about half an hour to read. I know they left something out of it.
I tried to read Tale of Two Cities, and gave up in disgust.
I love all the movies made of A Christmas Carol, though, especially the Muppets' version.
For what, though some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
God forbid: yea, let God be true, and every man a liar, as it is written, "That thou mightest be justified in thy words, and overcome, when thou art judged." - Romans 3:3-4
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Abigail, I'm glad you're back. :)

I was also going to put Dickens on this thread, but first, why do you call him Charles BLEEP- Bleep as in "Bore" ?

When I was at college, I notice that the books I hadn't enjoyed reading always seemed to attract the most boring professors, the most memorable example being a long series of lectures about Dombey and Son , in a droning tone of voice... Amazingly, I sat through them all (I hadn't yet learnt about voting with my feet).

So, what some fellow students and my colleagues often describe-- the scenario when a brilliant professor makes you love a topic you had previously not felt attracted to-- never happened to me.

I'm sure there must be many things to admire about a writer like Dickens, if only the subject matter, one learns a lot about nineteenth century England from reading him-- but then again, the nineteenth century in Europe was my least favourite era in history (and it was taught every year from the last year in high school and thoughout college); I would have been happy to hear about the Industrial Revolution, briefly-- ONCE.

Note: I have just read this post in preview, and what I really wrote in the first line, "D-I-C-K-E-N-S" has been turned into "BLEEP".
Have you been casting spells on these threads Abigail?
Ophelia.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”