• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

March & April 2008 Non-Fiction Suggestions

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I'd prefer one of my suggestions, since I already plan to read them. Since there are so many books on my to-read shelf, I'm reluctant to add more (though I may read Heart of Darkness, since it's short).
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

1st Choice: Graeber's Possibilities: Essays on Hierarchy, Rebellion, and Desire . I am interested in learning more about the fields of anthropology and sociology, to see them applied toward current issues that I think are important...like social hierarchy, resistance, activism, democracy, international and grass roots organization, and how desire converges with politics. I also think it will prove valuable as we (in the States at least) enter another election period- helping us to articulate an alternative beyond the candidates, and imagine an entirely different way to do governenace.

2nd Choice: Ten Theories of Human Nature. I think a solid, sweeping summary of the foundational thinkers and their ideas would be an excellent way for Booktalk to better adopt a common language and shared perspective when discussing human nature. Since we would have just completed Pinker's The Stuff of Thought , largely a description of human nature through exploring how language is used, I think we should move to a different arena of experience. No doubt Ten Theories will probably touch on darned near every aspect of human experience, I think Possibilities will offer a sharper focus.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I just made a post in my "Concerning Chris O'Connor" thread in the "Introduce Yourself!" forum that I'd appreciate you guys reading. It is a "sticky topic" in the "Introduce Yourself" forum right now.

Once you read that post please use this thread for discussing and selecting the next book. Thanks guys.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to go through this thread soon and select the next non-fiction book. I'm amazed that I didn't see any replies to this thread after I asked for some help.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”