• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Can Christianity be redeemed (and what would it take)?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

bradams wrote:I'd say those in the reformed epistemology tradition, especially Alvin Plantinga and especially the idea of basic beliefs. Not that I think the ideas in this tradition are totally without merit. On the contrary, I admire many aspects of this epistemological theory but it looks suspiciously like a front for apologetics to me.
Ah, well, I suppose epistemic theories forwarded by theologians probably would tend towards apologetics.
The idea is that there is an underlying set of principles underlying all the varied morality systems seen throughout human societies.
I don't doubt that you could (with some difficult) derive some principles that are (almost) universally applicable, but it's probably a distortion of the historical development of moral systems to suppose that there's any set of principles underlying them.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:
bradams wrote:the idea is that there is an underlying set of principles underlying all the varied morality systems seen throughout human societies.
I don't doubt that you could (with some difficult) derive some principles that are (almost) universally applicable, but it's probably a distortion of the historical development of moral systems to suppose that there's any set of principles underlying them.
Getting back to the redemption thingy, the question here, in the ontology underlying our ethics, is 'Which forms of life are right with "God"/nature, and which are not?' Darwin and Dawkins answered this clearly by stating that cumulative adaptation by natural selection is the indicator of whether things are 'right with nature', as things which are not adaptive do not continue. So, there is an underlying principle of any morality that is truly redemptive, that it is adapted to meet evolutionary needs. Of course, humans, being such bright critters, can also invent a morality which is maladaptive, without knowing until it really maladapts.

From this, the question if Christianity can be redeemed can be stated as: does Christianity possess a set of principles underlying its moral system which is adaptive to the emerging global ecology?

The interesting thing here (back to tares) is that there are popular systems which to me look maladaptive, eg rapture theology which looks forward to nuclear war, but also spiritual systems, in the Sermon on the Mount and the Last Judgement, which are highly adaptive to emerging global needs for cooperation.

Not all the moral systems of the world support the Sermon on the Mount. For example there are many who believe it is right to help friends and harm enemies, contrary to what Jesus taught. Jesus presented a counter-intuitive morality, claiming this is needed to rescue our planet from the destruction which non-adaptive selfish moralities are creating.

Redemption for Christianity requires another look at the teachings of Christ to assess their coherence. Until we get a clear picture of a coherent theology argued by Jesus, inferred from the Bible, the path of redemption will be quite dark.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Getting back to the redemption thingy, the question here, in the ontology underlying our ethics, is 'Which forms of life are right with "God"/nature, and which are not?' Darwin and Dawkins answered this clearly by stating that cumulative adaptation by natural selection is the indicator of whether things are 'right with nature', as things which are not adaptive do not continue. So, there is an underlying principle of any morality that is truly redemptive, that it is adapted to meet evolutionary needs. Of course, humans, being such bright critters, can also invent a morality which is maladaptive, without knowing until it really maladapts.
Robert, I'll just make a couple of quick points here.

(i) Dawkins really doesn't deserve much credit for anything. He popularised some theories, but aside from meme (a theory of questionable worth), he's come up with very little in the line of original ideas.

(ii) Using our 'nature' as the basis for a moral system in problematic. Our nature is plastic and while we have many strong predispositions toward certain behaviours these predispositions are not always adaptive in the modern world. Further, not only does the phenotype vary greatly depending on the environment into which we are born (which I might add is a different environment to the one in which humanity evolved), but the predispositions present in out make-up are often at odds with each other.

For instance, we have adaptations that lead us toward infidelity in some circumstances while we also have an adaptation that leads us to react with disgust to infidelity in other circumstances. Likewise, we have biases toward social loafing, toward punishing social loafing, toward pro-social behaviour and toward taking advantage of our peers.

There's no doubt that our genes guide our thinking on morality in certain ways, but they don't offer a set of principles on which a stable and/or consistent moral system can be based.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Niall001 wrote:Robert, I'll just make a couple of quick points here. (i) Dawkins really doesn't deserve much credit for anything. He popularised some theories, but aside from meme (a theory of questionable worth), he's come up with very little in the line of original ideas. (ii) Using our 'nature' as the basis for a moral system in problematic. Our nature is plastic and while we have many strong predispositions toward certain behaviours these predispositions are not always adaptive in the modern world. Further, not only does the phenotype vary greatly depending on the environment into which we are born (which I might add is a different environment to the one in which humanity evolved), but the predispositions present in out make-up are often at odds with each other. For instance, we have adaptations that lead us toward infidelity in some circumstances while we also have an adaptation that leads us to react with disgust to infidelity in other circumstances. Likewise, we have biases toward social loafing, toward punishing social loafing, toward pro-social behaviour and toward taking advantage of our peers. There's no doubt that our genes guide our thinking on morality in certain ways, but they don't offer a set of principles on which a stable and/or consistent moral system can be based.
Niall, Thanks. Surely you are being too hard on Dr Dawkins? I thought The Selfish Gene was brilliant, showing quite clearly how zoology provides a rigorous context for ethics and philosophy, by defining parameters of the real. Too much non-scientific ethics is merely speculative or actively harmful because it is not grounded in observation. However, I do think The God Delusion was superficial in its grasp of theology, presenting a popular bludgeon and failing to engage with more sophisticated views, but Dawkins has a coherent outlook which presents a useful discipline for thought.

Dawkins points to the potential to use evolution as a basis for morality, but as you say this is highly problematic. Since Hume, in view of the fact/value and is/ought distinctions, analytical philosophy has effectively claimed that derivation of strategies from observations is fallacious, the basis being that action is based on much more than evidence and that moral sentiment is not rational. I have always felt uneasy about this positivistic outlook as it makes morality too subjective. Surely there exists a moral strategy which, even if we can't know what it is, objectively produces the best/most adaptive outcomes, and which we can aim at as a goal of moral reason?

Genetics would have much to provide to inform such an adaptive moral strategy. I agree that genetics alone is not a sufficient basis for morality, but compatibility with genetic knowledge is necessary for a coherent morality. This is why creationism is so perverse, and why Christianity needs to have its anti-scientific components excised if it is to become redeemable.

The main genetic principle on which morality can be based is that actions which conduce to replication are good while those which do not are bad. This principle needs to be understood in a complex way, given that some actions can seem helpful in the short term (eg building nuclear weapons) but may prove harmful in the longer term against the benchmark of ecological adaptability, and that replication of some organisms (eg cockroaches) may not serve the interest of the broader ecology. Genetics points to a consequentialist ethic where the meaning of life is the good of the future.

There is a good article called Taking the Gospels Seriously by Bill McKibben in the current issue of the New York Review of Books - http://www.nybooks.com/articles/article ... e_id=20943. He points out that despite its popularity, evangelical Christianity may well be on the point of collapse because of its fallacious foundations, and that young Americans mostly view the church as contemptible, having looked at it and been disgusted by its hypocrisy and intolerance.

I agree the loafing and fidelity moral examples you give are genetically ambiguous, but they are really minor distractions against the big game, which boils down to whether humanity will become extinct and whether Christianity will aid or abet our genetic survival. I think Christianity will aid survival once it is stripped of its obsolete excrescences.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Robert, thanks for the heads-up regarding Bill McKibben's essay Taking the Gospels Seriously. I couldn't get the link to work, but I'll dig into the host site and see if I can find it. Booktalk discussed McKibben's recent book, Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future http://www.booktalk.org/deep-economy-th ... n-f12.html , if you're interested. McKibben could be linked to a growing movement within Christianity where ecotheology meets social justice and a contemporary interpretation of the Gospel fuels efforts to change the tide of Global Climate Change. I think McKibben is a good example of how Christians are working to redeem Christianity, not for the sake of a redeemed Christianity, but for a healed biosphere.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Shows how long I have been away from booktalk! You may recall we talked about McKibben in 2005 at http://www.booktalk.org/the-christian-p ... t1154.html

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”