• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Nominations for our 3rd Quarter 2005 book selection

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Nominations for our 3rd Quarter 2005 book selection

Unread post

Make your nominations for our 3rd Quarter 2005 book selection here!What would you like to read in July, August and September of 2005? We'll be done with Jared Diamond's Collapse at the end of June, so now is the perfect time to start discussing our next book selection.Any ideas?We now have a Quarterly Book Database, so please refer to that for ideas for nominations. I'm working on a new page that explains our Book Selection Process, but it is still needing quite a bit of editing. You're welcome to take a lok at it now and as I make edits.If you would like to nominate a book that isn't yet in our Quarterly Book Database, you will need to first suggest it in the Book suggestions for our "Quarterly Book Database" thread. We screen all suggestions to make sure they're appropriate for future book reading periods, and if so they're added to the Quarterly Book Database. If the suggestion isn't deemed suitable, but is still a quality suggestion, we will add it to the Other Readables database. All of this will be explained soon on the Book Selection Process page, but get that out of your head and start thinking hard about Q3 2005. What should we read? Check out the Quarterly Database and nominate a book or two! Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 5/5/05 12:56 am
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Nominations for our 3rd Quarter 2005 book selection

Unread post

Ok...anyone remember the suggestions for the next book...only 25 days left!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Blink - The Power of Thinking without Thinking

Unread post

This was my suggestion:Blink - The Power of Thinking without ThinkingQuote:Amazon.comBlink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea. Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara MackoffFrom Publishers WeeklyStarred Review. Best-selling author Gladwell (The Tipping Point) has a dazzling ability to find commonality in disparate fields of study. As he displays again in this entertaining and illuminating look at how we make snap judgments
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Blink - The Power of Thinking without Thinking

Unread post

I know I had nominated The Arrogance of Humanism, by David Ehrenfeld.If I think of more, I'll post them.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I checked "BLINK" out of the library and read up to the middle o chapter one today. Interesting and something I am going to read through no matter what. I can relate to this topic. I have always worked well under pressure, when I think LESS about the task at hand. Hopefully I can gain some insight as to how to make this type of decision making more prevalent in my every day life.From what I have read, I can recommend this book. Seems to read easily as well so far.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll have to try to remember some of those nominations, but we ought to discuss this in the chat room Thursday night if possible. I'd love to see a poll go up very soon, so that people have enough time to order and receive the book.Chris
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Oh, I guess I should go ahead and let you know that I likely won't be able to attend chats any more. I may manage a few exceptions to that rule. My excuse is posted in the "Roll Call" thread in the temp forum, and since I've only got about 15 minutes, I won't repeat it here.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Blink sounds like a good nomination. It is definitely something I will read.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The three books we decided on in Thursday night chat session, which will appear on the next poll, are as follows:1. Blink2. Freethinkers3. Endless FormsThis post is brief, but the poll will contain full book information and links so everyone can research each book. Thanks.Chris

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”