• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Q3 2007 Freethinker Book Poll!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
riverc0il
Senior

Re: Q3 2007 Nonfiction Book Poll!

Unread post

I am interested in all three. Personally, God is Not Great appeals most directly but I think one of the other two selections would be best for the community. From what I read, Ehrman seems about putting the Bible into a religious friendly context rather than simply fact based denouncing the scriptures as mostly based myth fantasy whereas Callahan looks to tear into things without interpretation (would appreciate further insight and clarification if anyone has read either). I am rather surprised to see the non-Hitchens votes going so heavily slanted towards Ehrman.3 votes for Secret Origins of the Bible. As much as I want to read Hitchens, I just read Dawkins and am in no rush to get to Hitchens. Not that I lack interest, but would enjoy something a bit different currently and would prefer to consider Hitchens for Q4.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

2 for God is not Great because I think a Chomsky/Hitchens tandem discussion would be a welcome shot in the arm for Booktalk PR...and I think Hitchens is truly an exceptional character in the literary (and political) world that needs to be read and challenged.1 for Secret Origins of the Bible because a careful introduction to the complexities of Biblical criticism might disabuse future debate on all-things-Bible from slipping into the tired dichotomous rant: "It's all fictive bullshit" vs "It's all pristine fact".Actually, after counting the score....make that 3 for God is not Great. Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 6/26/07 12:42 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Last call on votes!
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Hitchens is getting a lot of media attention lately and his book is well on its way to selling a cool half million copies. I am reconsidering my reasoning for my three votes as A) a top of the line best seller could benefit BookTalk.org with increased readership during this quarter so soon after the book's release and B) Secret Origins hasn't picked up hardly any interest. It may be a moot point any ways since Misquoting has such a commanding lead. Too bad the vote call is ending tomorrow. They were all good books. Pending Hitchens doesn't make this quarter, I think it should be a definite first consideration for Q4.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

This poll will stay up one extra day. Not enough members have cast votes. I'm really hoping for more participation. The poll will close Wednesday evening.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Final Score:God is Not Great - 11Secret Origins of the Bible - 5Misquoting Jesus - 14

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”