Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Have the next few books been chosen? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Masters

Post Have the next few books been chosen?
The Booktalk home page lists several upcoming books: A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wicked, Atlas Shrugs, Come on People, and If I Did It.

Have those books been chosen, or are they placeholders to catch people's attention? I didn't see polls for selecting those books, but I haven't been reading all the forums.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:34 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Yes, those books have been chosen. It was in our best interest to jump start the fiction section and have fiction books announced far in advance. Polls are not a thing of the past, but a few executive decisions have recently had to be made in order to get the ball rolling again.

Make some quality fiction suggestions for upcoming fiction books in this forum. But our new rule for "Official" selections is that our books need to be best sellers. We have dabbled in niche books of appeal to only a select audience for long enough. I am still researching this issue, but I believe the rule will be that the fiction or non-fiction book must be in the top 1000 on the Amazon.com sales list. If it isn't we cannot afford to have it as an official selection.

As membership increases we will have more people to pull into the Additional Book Discussions forums to niche book discussions. Want to discuss Norwegian Ship Building? Sounds exciting to some people, but not to most readers that wander by our community via search engine searches. We need books that are appealing to a vast audience. Then those people will join and explore the site and learn of the more niche or narrowly focused book discussions. But for now all official book discussions need to be top selling books.

You're getting a little ahead of me though. I am working on announcing these things in the Announcements forum. But all the other changes are sapping my time.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:20 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Banned

Wow, that's really disappointing, particularly for the non-fiction selections.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Junior

Gold Contributor

Wow, that's really disappointing, particularly for the non-fiction selections.

Ditto.

George :sad:

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

[i][b]mere atheism: no gods

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

Chris wants more participants. He has tried so many ways to attract Freethinkers, Athiests and quality members...but we just cannot get them to join or stick around. I am dissapointed as well about this, but lets give it a shot. We have had no activity (FAI&P) for a while now. Lets try to stick with Booktalk during this experiment and membership drive.

We can always have our own side book discussions as well as experimenting with the 'official' choices.

Mr. P.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:46 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks Nick. Yes, I'd really appreciate the support and loyalty. Six years of experimenting and spending money and we have not succeeded in being a niche book group. My logic is that we need to open the flood gates by discussing popular or best selling books as the official discussions. As new members join there will be an ever increasing chance of attracting some of them to the niche books. Those niche discussions can be positioned in the Additional Book Discussions forums until this place has grown significantly.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:59 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Pope of Literature

Chris, why don't you go ahead and slap that private forum together? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, so long as we can talk about the subjects you don't want discussed in the pubic forums. If it's a matter of not having found a way of limiting access by post count, just go ahead and make it private and give everyone who's already posted in this thread the proper permissions to post in that forum as well. Anyone else who wants to participate in that discussion can request to be added by replying to this thread. People obviously want to discuss it, and I think putting off the discussion is only likely to cause frustration.

If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:37 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

Chris, why don't you go ahead and slap that private forum together? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, so long as we can talk about the subjects you don't want discussed in the pubic forums. If it's a matter of not having found a way of limiting access by post count, just go ahead and make it private and give everyone who's already posted in this thread the proper permissions to post in that forum as well. Anyone else who wants to participate in that discussion can request to be added by replying to this thread. People obviously want to discuss it, and I think putting off the discussion is only likely to cause frustration.

Second.

Mr. P.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:24 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I've created "The Chamber" whihc is only open to members with 100 posts or more. We can discuss subjects there that are not really appropriate for the public forums.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Masters

Chris, this is your site, and you can choose its goals and how to achieve those goals. However, I doubt that your latest tactic will help you make this a popular book-discussion site.

Here's why. A web community needs to grow organically. In other words, people need to discover the site, find stuff of interest, and choose to contribute to the discussion.

Right now, there is a small group of frequent posters to Booktalk. To get a book discussion off the ground, a few of them need to participate. Someone who discovers this website for the first time isn't going to lead the discussion.

Now, we could try to select books that appeal to both a wider audience and a reasonable subset of the regulars. And, other changes you've made, such as the improved forum software, should help.

In any case, the handful of regulars is Booktalk main asset, and it would be foolish to drive them away.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:09 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I've no interest in driving anyone away. Let's discuss this in the new forum.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post If I did it
Hi everyone,
My name is Gen and I just joined. I am excited to see that "If I did it" is a selection. I have just finished reading that book and I am looking forward to discussing it with people who have an open enough mind to read it.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:59 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.