• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Q4, 2007 Nonfiction Book Suggestions

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Carried over from the old forum...

Hopefully I can squeeze in one last suggestion for next quarter's non-fiction reading before Chris decides on the nominations for the poll. Given the recent spate of disagreements over historical method, I thought it might be worthwhile for everyone in the forum to read the thoughts of an influential historian on the matter. To that end, I'm suggesting

The Historian's Craft, by Marc Bloch
(click title for link)

I'm hoping that it will allow us to discuss history, how it's studied, and how the nature of that study effects our understanding of what we take to be historical fact. I've encounted a lot of praise for Bloch's book over the years, all of which leads me to believe that it would be a worthwhile starting point for looking at how history is made for the modern world.
Mr P. wrote:Oh. This looks good! I will second this for the poll!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Suggestion

Unread post

Incidentally, I'm changing my list of books I'd like to see on the poll. And they're all going to be books that I suggested, because, dammit, I suggested a buttload of books, and I think most of them are likely to make for a good discussion. So I says, put these on the poll, I says!
:arrow: A Poisonous Affair: America, Iraq, and the Gassing of Halabja, by Joost R. Hiltermann
:arrow: The Name of War: King Phillip's War and the Origins of American Identity, by Jill Lepore
:arrow: The Gods of the Greeks, by Karl & Carl Kerenyi
:arrow: The Historian's Craft, by Marc Bloch
:arrow: Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory And the Search for Unity in Physical Law, by Peter Woit
And check out that variety! We've got one book on current events, one on American history, one on mythology, one on methodology, and one on physics. Something for everyone!
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Here's my selection:

Here's my selection:
  • 1.Five Minds for the Future by Howard Gardner (A synthesis of many years of masterful work in the fields of cognitive science, education theory, leadership development, ethics, and the task of building the good society)

2.The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (Looks like a fascinating examination of the machinations of torture: individually and socially, using the tools of social psychology, legal expertise, and moral insight- and a critical challenge for our current Administration's foray into Democracy Building)

3.Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande (A critical but sympathetic look at one particular scientific field; Booktalk's first concerted, detailed examination of the world of medicine, hospitals, illness, and surgery)

4.Lawless World by Philippe Sands QC (A great combination of international law, geopolitical crimes and misdemeanors, and the challenge to define national sovereignty and contain rogue nations)

5.The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein (Something I probably already agree with on most key points and details as well. Still, I'd be very interested in how we can get beyond her critique and extend it towards alternatives)
Last edited by Dissident Heart on Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Um, not to be a pest or anything, but it's October 2nd. Shouldn't we be voting soon?

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”