• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Q2 2007 Nonfiction Book Poll!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
SarahBewley
Getting Comfortable

Re: Q2 2007 Nonfiction Book Poll!

Unread post

The Nurture Assumption
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

BBWelcome to the community! I look forward to your participation on the forums.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

How's my count?Second Chances: 15Deep Economy: 12Nurture Assumption: 3 (or 8 if Sarah is voting all 5)C'mon. I want to be involved -- we need 4 more votes for Deep Economy! "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

5 for Deep Economy.Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Loricat, you know I'm really torn with these book choices, which is why I haven't voted yet. My first choices in each section are U.S.-centric texts, but I understand how insensitive that would be to our non-U.S. participants. At first I thought, oh great Religious Expression and the American Constitution in the freethinker's discussion and Second Chances in the non-fiction discussion. Those would probably be great complimentary books, where each could possibly feed at least part of the discussion of the other. I had intended to cast all my votes for those two books, until I realized they were both about U.S. Government and law.Mr. P. just knocked Deep Economy up to number one. I could knock Second Chances, my first choice, back up to number one if I gave it all five of my votes
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, books can be placed back on polls. And thank you guys for keeping the poll score!
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

irishrosem -- I hear you! I've always thought the main difference between Canada and the USA is the difference in population. You folks have 10x the population, so there's just that much more of everything -- good people, crazy people, nationalism, movies, xenophobia, etc. etc. We've got people writing nationalistic books here, too. They're just not that interesting. (We do have Rick Mercer, and he does have a blog, but he's not written a commentary of Canadian politics yet!) Of course you want to read about your country -- If you can all arrange it so that one of the two books each quarter is about something else, then I'll be happy!! [thanks, Mr. P!] "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

"Second Chance" is largely about U.S. foreign policy, so it would probably be a lot more interesting to a non-U.S. reader than "Religious Expression and the American Constitution". And I think some non-U.S. readers would at least find it interesting to see how Americans perceive the presidential decisions that have affected the global situation. That's my argument.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Perhaps you'll consider me shallow, but how USians "perceive the presidential decisions that have affected the global situation" is all I ever see. That's what the air-, print- & net-waves are full of.Now, what I'd like to see is a book that discusses how the rest of the world perceives the US presidential decisions that have affected the global situation...written by someone who is not from this continent, who is honest in her/his opinions & perceptions, who doesn't care about selling his/her book in the USA (and is thus not bleating the 'oh please like me even though I'm not one of you' approved point of view), and who is an engaging writer. I may have to wait a few hundred years before some writer exists who is not emotionally, politically, economically, mentally, socially (etc.) tied to the USA in some way.I'm not saying that the author of Second Chance is in any way dishonest or opportunistic -- I just think that people who live in the USA often believe that the rest of us can't wait to continue the discussion of who/what you and your country represents. But maybe that's what makes a book successful on BookTalk: People in the USA are passionate about their country. The Omnivore's Dilemma had themes that we could have discussed a lot longer than we did, as did The Third Chimpanzee -- but they were books that covered broad topics, of general interest to everyone, but not really passionate interest to anyone. The Freethinker books get a lot of discussion, because everyone involved is passionate about the topic. Hmm.Ah well. Let the votes fall where they may. I'm pretty busy anyway! "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Jeepers, Mad. I come on here all ready to vote for Deep Economy after looking through it in the store last night, and then you have to go and throw that out there. I'm going with Deep Economy anyway. I think it will provide a nice contrast to the Thomas Friedman stuff that I've been reading. I'm hoping Second Chance wins next quarter. Right now, I'm just too depressed about current political happenings in the U.S. to focus on it in any productive way.So that's 5 for Deep Economy.And going off Loricat's numbers:Second Chances: 15Deep Economy: 22Nurture Assumption: 3 (or 8 if Sarah is voting all 5)

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”