• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Quotes

#13: Mar. - April 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Katala Au

Quotes

Unread post

Please post any quotes that touched you or leapt out at you for any particular reason
Katala Au

Re: Quotes

Unread post

" If life on Earth is unique, or at least exceptionally rare...how special is our fleeting Mayfly-like existence; how important it is that we make the most of our lives and our loves; how critical it is that we work to preserve not only our own species, but all species and the ecosystem itself. Whether the universe is teaming with life or we are alone, whether our existence is strongly necessitated by the laws of nature or it is highly contingent, whether there is more to come or this is all there is, either way we are faced with a worldview that is equally breathtaking and majestic in its sweep across time and space" pg. xxvii
MichaelangeloGlossolalia

Unread post

"God is the still, small voice that tells you everybody else is wrong" - Anonymous"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image, when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott God and Satan were talking and God said, "I think I'll invent religion." Satan replied, "Good idea! I'll organize it for you." Everything that we think God has in his mind necessarily proceeds from our own mind; it is what we imagine to be in God's mind, and it is really difficult for human intelligence to guess at a divine intelligence. What we usually end up with by this sort of reasoning is to make God the color-sergeant of our army and to make Him as chauvinistic as ourselves. -- Lin Yutang"...the refusal to accept love, the refusal to respond to it, that precisely is the meaning of Hell. Hell is not a place where God puts us; it's a place where we put ourselves. The doors of Hell, insofar as they have locks, have locks on the inside."
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

MichaelSomething tells me Nicole meant quotes from How We Believe, but this one had me rollin'...Quote:God and Satan were talking and God said, "I think I'll invent religion." Satan replied, "Good idea! I'll organize it for you." Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
roundish

god almighty

Unread post

god is the precipitate you get when you churn the pot(mind) anchored on faith(religion) with your churning stick of thought process , when the pot contains fear of unknown and desire for love and happiness.-Dr V T V Jose
ecstian

Re: god almighty

Unread post

Quote:Sometime I think we're alone.Sometimes I think we're not.In either case, the thought is quite staggering.R. Buckminster Fuller
Tiarella

Unread post

Yes, that one spoke to my condition, too, Eric!"The belief in God has often been advanced as not only the greatest, but the most complete of all the distinctions between man and the lower animals." -- DarwinTell me, how do we know what the lower animals believe? We tend to make lots of assumptions about 'lower animals;' this is another. For all I know, my nearly-23-year-old parrot believes in The Great Mama Bird and the Heavenly Nest.
NicktheNihilist

Unread post

"That man made God is every bit as fascinating as the reverse; and the evidence is better." on p.90 of How We Believe Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions. -Primo Levi
NicktheNihilist

Unread post

"That man made God is every bit as fascinating as the reverse; and the evidence is even better." on p.90 of How We Believe Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions. -Primo Levi

Return to “How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God - by Michael Shermer”