• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why do people believe in gods?

#13: Mar. - April 2004 (Non-Fiction)
MichaelangeloGlossolalia

Re: Why do people believe in gods?

Unread post

A couple other Bible quotes:2 Samuel 7: He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men.(Either he's talking about some other king whose throne is eternal, and whom God calls his son, or he's saying Jesus was punished for doing wrong).Ezekiel 29:9 says Egypt would be invaded by Nebuchadnazzar and left without inhabitants for 40 years. There may be some debate about whether Egypt was invaded, but it was never without inhabitants for 40 years.Numbers 31: 14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle. And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ...Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Exodus 21:20 "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. Deut 22:28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.(What lovely family values in God's "unchanging moral code")2 Samuel 24 :1 God incited David to number Israel . 1 Chronicles 21:1 Satan incited David to number Israel. And one I actually believe in:When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him. - Proverbs 16

Return to “How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God - by Michael Shermer”